Veintiocho

My muscles ache and scream as my consciousness comes back to me. It's hard to breathe and my limbs feel like cement, weighing a thousand pounds. I blink a few times, adjusting to the bright whiteness of the hospital room. I feel something touching my hand and turn to see Kellin at my side, his hand loosely holding mine and his head resting against the mattress. A faint smile tugs at my lips and I use all my energy to tighten my hand, enclosing his properly. I felt kind of bad after though, because in an instant he snapped up, awake. He caught my gaze and beamed, lurching forward and kissing my lips, cheek, nose, forehead, everything he could reach.

"Thank God," he sighs between kisses. "I didn't know what was going to happen, Vic. I was so scared. They said the surgery had some difficulties but that you should've been fine. You were supposed to wake up last night and when you didn't and I. . .I don't- I-" he stops his rapid talking and just smiles brightly, letting go of my hand to hug me. I don't how he did it without hurting a single body part, but he didn't. My mind was so foggy and everything was so slow at coming back to me, I just sat there in a daze at his face as memories piece themselves together. Shit, Ben. Oh my God he must be a mess, at least I'm used to this kind of mental strain. Something could've happened when I was out.

"Are you okay?" I ask him hoarsely. He chuckles, dropping back down to his uncomfortable looking seat.

"You're in a hospital bed after being shot and you're asking if I'm okay?" he asks. I nod, not caring about anything else in the room and staring at Kellin. "I'm better than ever now," he answers, leaning in and pecking my lips again. This time I can actually slightly respond, the grogginess is wearing off. "How are you feeling?" he asks warily, his hand finding mine again.

"Um, my entire body hurts. But...I think I'm okay."

"Good, great, good" he says, slowly nodding. There's a small silence and then: "I'm in love with you," he blurts out, his eyes shining with all the emotion I could ever imagine.

I was shocked at the random admission and nervous bubbles start popping in my stomach. I then make a complete fool of myself when muttering: "I-uh, um, I h-have those regards for you as well."

"It's okay," he chuckles, "you don't have to say it. I just couldn't let another day go by without you knowing." And I agree. We almost lost each other. But my stomach needs to calm down in order for my mind to allow the words an escape. They've been bouncing around my mind for weeks, they need out. Just not now, not yet.

"About that. . .how are you, like mentally. . .?"

"Oh. Um, I don't know. I'm kind of okay, I haven't left this room though, so I haven't really been able to experience everyday life yet."

"You haven't slept either," I point out. Kellin sighs and shakes his head.

"I was too worried," he tells me. Guilt ambushes my stomach and I feel kind of choked up about it. I've caused too much strain on his life.

"I'm so sorry. I drag you into everything and I just- I'm so so sorry, Kell," I tell him.

"It's not your fault. I knew there was chance for that happening when I got back together with you, but I don't care. I'm in love with you." And my eyes actually teared up.

"I'm in love with you too," I whisper, pulling him to me and kissing his overly kissable lips. It feels so good to finally get that off my chest.

"He's awake," Someone gasps from the door. "I'll get the doctor," they mumble. Kellin and I separate a little embarrassed of being walked-in on, but it was so worth it. Those lips are just. . .fuck. I can't explain, but they light my body on fire.

"I need to call Chief. I have to lock Ben up," I say, looking around the room for a phone.

"No you don't," Kellin says, reaching out and caressing my cheek soothingly. "Mike got your phone and called your police dudes, told some guy we needed them and just like that, they were on their way. They got a witness satement or whatever from me, and instantly starting searching. They got to the shed this morning as well as their houses and I haven't heard anything since then," he tells me.