Uno

"Another case closed," I say to myself, signing the field report. I get handed another case file and collapse in the spinning chair behind my desk.

"Thanks," I mutter to Jaime, a coworker of mine. We work together when patrolling and he pretty much handles my constant need for cases. Well, it isn't exactly my fault that people are constantly trying to kill one another, now is it?

"You have a private debriefing in ten minutes," He says, still towering over me. I sigh, feeling exhausted after working the last 36 hours on trying to track down a missing teen. "You should really take a break, Vic. All this work is stringing you out."

"I'm fine," I shrug. In all honesty, I simply prefer being kept busy. Being on the move all the time eliminates the feeling of loneliness as well as giving me an excuse for not visiting my parents as much as they want me to. I only moved out two years ago, and I've climbed the police ranking quite quickly given my dedication to the job. I excelled in the academy after my senior year. After moving downtown, I got to work earlier as well as leaving later, solving more and more cases and gaining ground on all the family-man types around me.

"Officer Fuentes," Chief Barham says, in an official tone, from his doorway. I nod and make my way into his office. He motioned to a chair facing his desk and I saunter over to it, making myself comfortable. He sits in his own, a desk separating us.

"I realize we've been working you hard, Fuentes. I appreciate your devotion to the cause, it shows a lot about your character. Although, since you refuse to take a vacation I've decided to give you an important, yet low-intensity case."

I internally groan. In other words, he gave me the case too boring for the pencil pushers—and that's saying something. "Thank you sir, but I really enjoy my normal cases."

"Oh I assure you, this is much like your normal cases, however this time you're going undercover." I actually perk up at the news. Don't get the wrong idea, I love being a cop. But, it is nice every once in a while to have this type of case where no one runs at the sight of you, or stiffens up in intimidation. This will definitely be a well appreciated case.

"Oh, great. What's the story this time?"

He turns his computer screen to a more suitable angle for me, and shows me a picture of my target selling drugs, as well as giving me my incentive: "he's a well known drug dealer, although we haven't had the means or proof to arrest him yet. The only thing we want you to do is follow him around and find how he transports his drugs. We'll intercept the operation and he'll be terminated."

"Terminated?"

"In a way, yes."

"Okay, sounds cool. So, what so I do? Befriend him and get in the whole thing or what?"

"No. We actually don't want you going near him at all. Him and his crew are well aware of our eyes being on them. The last thing we need is their gang getting suspicious. So, you'll be attending Clairemont High, where Benjamin Worsnop is enrolled. You'll watch him from afar and eventually let us know the transportation technique." I internally groan again. Wow, this really is low intensity, plus that's my brother's highschool. Sure, it's been two years since I've been at school, but that doesn't mean I'll be rushing back. "Also, you'll have to move back in with your family."

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath. Thankfully he doesn't catch my outburst and hands over my class schedule along with ID.

"Wait, are you sure I can pull off a high school student?" I wonder aloud. He ignores my doubt and continues with the plan.

"We've notified the faculty to only accept your work in group assignments." I nod as he explains, and for the most part it makes sense. I just hope and pray that no one messes up and gets me caught. He dismisses me with my file and says I start the day after tomorrow, he allows me one day to move and feel comfortable. To which I appreciate, but find kind of unnecessary.