Chapter Nine

There were a few days left until the Christmas break would begin, meaning final days of lessons were ongoing, gifts and sweets had been bought on the last Hogsmeade trip

There were a few days left until the Christmas break would begin, meaning final days of lessons were ongoing, gifts and sweets had been bought on the last Hogsmeade trip. Rubina, Fred and George were allowed to go by Dumbledore as he magicked up a fake signed permission form as proof just as a precaution. The castle was being decorated according to the holidays, such as the twelve, tall trees were up and shining in the Great Hall, students were eagerly chattering amongst themselves and some had even packed most of their belongings.

Sirius had been a bit bewildered at first, seeing Rubina play at the Quidditch Pitch as she seemed to have the same moves and tricks as Fiona. However, he brushed it off after considering it's Quidditch and it can be common to use some of the same tactics as another player.

Now, they were all eating in the Great Hall, happily conversing until James brought up the topic of the Christmas break.

"You all are invited to Potter Manor for Christmas, and maybe we could celebrate New Year's there too?"

The trio from the future shared a look, their smiles lessening.

"Actually, James," Rubina addressed the Potter boy, "the three of us are staying at Hogwarts. So we can't come."

"Why are you guys staying here?" Lily questioned.

"Our parents are busy, they won't be home."

At this, Sirius went deep into thought, the conversation he had with Remus a while ago rushing back.

What if Remus was right? Maybe their parents are Death Eaters- No, that's not true, right?

James looked at his sister who was sitting across from him. It seemed as if the two had a conversation just by their eye contact before Fiona nodded. James looked back at his future niece.

"Well, why not come straight to our home? I'm sure Mum would be delighted."

"No!" The tone of Rubina's voice made everyone look at her questioningly, the latter awkwardly cleared her throat. "I mean, we couldn't intrude like that-"

"You won't be intruding, you're our friends." Fiona stated, "Everyone will be more than happy to have you."

Rubina sighed in defeat, "Alright then." Fred tapped her leg under the table making the girl look at him. He shot her a what the hell look, to which Rubina averted her eyes. She couldn't have exactly argued back because that would make it look suspicious, but Rubina didn't want to go. She was extremely nervous, and almost scared. Rubina was afraid of going to the Manor as after all, this was the home of the Potters.

The house that had been a home before disaster struck.

It was already bad enough that they were stuck in the past with her soon to be dead aunt and uncle and their friends, most of whom would either meet death or another fate, but now she would meet her mother's parents, her grandparents. Rubina already didn't want to leave, she wanted to save the fallen, but the young Black knew she couldn't do so. Meeting her grandparents would only make her want to stay more in the past.