Chapter Eight

The future godfather-goddaughter duo returned later on into the night

The future godfather-goddaughter duo returned later on into the night. Entering the common room, they found Sirius and Fiona cuddled together on the couch by the fireplace. Alice was writing a letter to her boyfriend, Frank Longbottom, while Marlene gushed over the two before reminiscing about times she spent with her girlfriend, Dorcas Meadowes, until she graduated.

Peter was hunched over a piece of parchment, attempting to finish his essay for Charms. James was sprawled across an armchair, lazily releasing a Golden Snitch before enclosing his fist around it when the Snitch flew a few too many inches away. Lily was seated on the ground criss-crossed, watching the raven-haired boy with a gentle smile until she caught the eye of Remus who smirked at her and she jerked, tearing her gaze away from the Potter Heir and throwing a glare in the direction of the werewolf.

"Oh you're back." Lily said, catching the attention of Fred Weasley, who was surprisingly, staring at the floor glumly, his head resting in his hands, only perking up realising his girlfriend was back. George was nowhere to be seen, causing Rubina to release a disheartened sigh.

"How was study time?" Fred asked, standing up from his spot.

"Fine." The metamorphmagus replied, while Remus threw his gaze away from Fred, a slight red coloring his cheeks much to the ginger's surprise. Disregarding the action, Fred's hand enclosed around his girlfriend's wrist as he pulled her along to sit with him on the ground, to which she obliged. Remus moved over to Peter, in order to help his friend complete his homework.

"Where's George?" Rubina whispered.

The light in Fred's eyes dimmed, "I'm not sure, he hasn't returned since the morning."

Rubina's lips turned downwards, "Shouldn't we go look for him?"

"I've already tried. He'll turn up when he's ready."

The grey eyed girl nodded in return before glancing around the room, and a small smile made its way onto her pink lips, glad to see her family happy and safe,

For the time being...

***

Afterwards, everyone went off to bed. George had returned late on, but he'd silently slipped into bed, closing the hangings around his four poster bed indicating he didn't want to be bothered. All the boys had fallen asleep, meanwhile in the girl's dormitory, Rubina tossed and turned but she couldn't even feel a wink of sleep coming in.

Frankly speaking, she'd tried to keep happy but after the happenings of the day, she was left feeling hollow on the inside. After another frustrated turn, she got up and threw on a sweater and some slippers, before slipping out the door towards the seventh-year boys dormitory.

The young Black carefully pushed open the door, cringing when it emitted a loud creak. Fortunately, the noise didn't stir anyone awake. Silently letting the door shut behind her, Rubina tip-toed over to the bed she knew to be her boyfriend's. She gently smiled at the sleeping figure of Fred Weasley, and felt slightly guilty for having to wake him. As if a child curiously touches a new toy, Rubina hesitantly reached out and poked Fred's shoulder.