"One of your lost conquests?" I ask and Alex snorts leaning back on the desk "more like one of Mark's" I pull a face and shake my head "she isn't his type. She's yours though." Alex shoots me a dirty look and stands up straight "shut up." He says and I laugh. As he walks away I call "see! You don't even deny it." He flashes me a crude hand gestures and I gasp clutching my chest "you wound me Karev."

I walk over to where Callie and Alex are standing just in time to hear her say "I'm pretty sure your my dad." I choke and cover my mouth, watching as Lexie comes through the doors instantly noticing the blond standing next to her boyfriend. I clear my throat and step forward "don't worry Mark, I've got this you go and talk to her." Sloan gives me a pleading look as if to say 'no please' but gets up and leads Sloan Riley to a conference room.

When he is gone I look up at Alex and Callie who both still look stunned "you heard that too right?" I ask and they nod.

I am on my way out to get my family from the airport when I see Alex "Karev!" I call and he stops on his path and turns around to face me "you're coming with me. Now." I don't give him much of a choice as I practically drag him out to my car. We get in and I start driving before I explain "my family don't know we broke up." Alex makes an 'O' shape with his mouth and I continue "and telling them would involve everything with Izzie.... I don't think that's fair."

Alex snorts and looks out his window "so you think it's just easier for them to think we are still in love?" He asks and I risk a look at him. When he thinks no one is watching he appears like such a sweet, kind man and I know that man lives very deep inside, he doesn't like bringing him out all that often. I shrug, focusing back on the road "I'm offering you free food tomorrow, if you want to come for thanksgiving." Alex scoffs again and I feel his eyes on me "of course I want free food."

We arrive at the airport and as we wait in the car my leg bounces up and down nervously. Alex places a gentle hand on my thigh "it'll be fine, stop worrying." I bite my lip and see my family coming towards us. Like a huge gaggle of penguins is the only way I can describe them. I get out of the car, Alex following suit and we help them put their cases in the trunk of my car "Ah! Alex it is so good to see you" mum says and I roll my eyes "mum Alex doesn't speak Spanish remember." Alex, who is looking slightly confused is enveloped into a hug from my sisters "I see Andy is still keeping you around." Ronnie says and I glare at her "Veronica?" I warn and she chuckles patting Alex gently on the cheek "I kid I kid."

Alex throws me an entertained look and I roll my eyes "alright people let's get in the car, Alex and I have a job to go back to."

The car ride to my place is something straight out of hell. Everyone is talking all at once, no one speaking to each other directly and mum asking Alex a million and one questions each time forgetting she is speaking Spanish.

Once back at the hospital we get Chris' results back, Alex is standing directly behind me and I can feel his body heat against my skin "his AFP came back positive." He muses reading the results currently in my hand. I heave a heavy sigh and nod my head "yep and now we have to go and tell him."

Alex follows me to the peds floor and then to Chris' room. "Is that his results?" His mum asks sitting up straight from where she was slouching, napping, in the chair beside his bed "yes it is." I say trying to keep my voice light "your PSA came back negative." I start off with the good news "but your AFP came back positive." She looks at her son in concern, he doesn't look well and I feel awful "what does- what does that mean?" She presses and I step further into the room.

I feel Alex's presence behind me, comforting even when he doesn't do anything and I reply "Chris has Liver Cancer." The boy starts crying and his mum moves over to soothe him "I'll have Doctor Karev come in a little later to talk about treatment with you." I say and the mum, who doesn't take her eyes off of her son shakes her head.