He wasn't sure if he could tolerate seeing Ansel more often. There was no requirement for them to get along. Thankfully for Klaus, who didn't want to have any relationship with him. But he could tell that Ansel made Maddy feel safe. And he could offer her the parental advice she had sought from her mother. Surely that could work, in some way. Ansel could come by, and as long as he remained on good terms with Maddy, he could have a role in it. Perhaps he and Klaus would never be fine with one another, but the hybrid didn't mind that. What mattered to him was Maddy's happiness. Her safety. And, of course, the baby's safety.

He took her to see Cami the next day. He'd dropped her off at Cami's apartment before going to meet with Rebekah, who was ready to execute her plan. Maddy would be staying with Cami until Esther was confirmed to be a vampire, and still in the body she currently inhabited. Hopefully, that wouldn't take too long.

"Oh, you don't have to do that," Maddy said gently when Cami started to offer her all sorts of food and teas. "I'm fine. I appreciate it, though."

"Just let me know if you end up wanting anything," said Cami kindly, going to sit with her on the couch. "So... Marcel tells me you're seeing a therapist."

"Yep," replied Maddy. "Just to talk things out with a professional, make sure I'm keeping up with my mental health as well as my physical. I'm sure I'm fine but it helps being able to see a different face and rant to them about anyone and everyone. I love Klaus but sometimes I need to vent to someone who isn't him. I'm always talking and talking and I know that he's just too respectful to tell me that he's tired and wants me to shut up."

"I'm pretty sure Klaus doesn't think that. He's very forward. If he wanted you to shut up, he'd tell you."

"He feels he has to be so gentle with me because I'm pregnant. In every aspect, too. I feel like I'm being babied far too much."

"To be fair, if Marcel is scared to be too rough with me because he's a regular vampire, I can imagine Klaus is incredibly paranoid that he, as an Original, might be a bit too strong for you, his pregnant temporarily-human girlfriend, at this moment in time. Don't worry. I'm sure all will be fine later on. He cares about you, and he knows he loses control sometimes. He doesn't want to put either of you at risk. Have you discussed baby names with him?"

She shook her head. "No. We're thinking it'll be a girl, and hoping for that, too. But no discussion of names yet."

"Have you thought of any?"

"A few. I don't want to name them after my family members explicitly, but I do want references to them, if that makes sense. So like, definitely not using the names 'Damon' and 'Lorenzo' and 'Stefan' or the names of any of Klaus's brothers. I don't like reusing names. I want it to be unique. So like... 'Eliana.' I like Eliana, because it makes me think of Elijah and Elena. Elijah is Klaus's best friend, and his brother. Elena is my best friend. If something happens to us, them and Damon would get custody. As for other names, I haven't really thought of it. Eliana is kind of where I'm stuck at. It's cute, though. Very pretty."

"You could give her an old lady name," teased Cami. "Like Camille. Or Edith and Margaret if you're into that sort of thing. Or something with an R. I heard Rebekah's a pretty jealous person sometimes, she might flip out if the baby isn't named after her."

"Heh, that's kinda why I wanna go with a name that is only subtly related to someone we consider family... so she can't complain that it wasn't named after her."

"Have you done anything for like a memory box? Of stuff from throughout the baby's life for them to see when they're older?"

Maddy tilted her head. "No, I hadn't thought of that. What kind of things would I put in that?"