Hard Times and Hard Lessons

Comenzar desde el principio

 Yep, I spect your're right. That'ud cook his goose! You never ws one to beat around the bush. 

 The trouble is, the Woolson boys are takin their share as well, and the law don't give a flip whether I ketchem or not. I like elbow room, like Danel Boone, but I ain't got it here no more. Too many folks . I'm still studyin on how to trap em at their own game. It may take a while, but I'll get em. 

 I'm sorry to hear it. If I kin be any hep to ya, please give me a whistle. How have ya been gettin along!

All right, I guess, other than that. Did you hear about Frank and Cora May?

 No, what happened? Are they all right? 

Well, she is, but Frank ain't. He got caught  stealin a hen from Old man Ross' chicken house , and was shot with a twelve gauge. 

 Well, I'll swan! I never thought that'ud happen. How is he? Did he make it?

Oh, yes, he's still kicken, but he walks with a limp now.

Chapter Three : A New Job

 Well, I'll   be damned!  If that don't that don't just beat the Jews! I just caint believe it! I knew they were havin' a hard time maken ends meet, but I never thought he take up stealin. He's lucky old man Ross didn't blow his farm head off. To think of Frank stealin. I just caint see it. How are they gonna make a livin now? His share croppin days are over, at least for while, the way I see it.

Cora'll have to take in more washin, and she's already got her hands full with those three younguns.

 They did sewin and quiltin for a while, didn't they?

 Come to think of it, you're right. When Frank got down in his back from haulen them cross ties on the railroad. I guess her daughter Myra can hep her. She's goin on eleven.

 It's a cryin shame that had to happen. You just don't know what goes on in a person's mind. Now those poor childern. What's to become of  'em? Only the Good Lord knows.  

Annie and me 'll have to go over and see em. Cora and me always  saw eye to eye on most things.

The Dinner Bell Rings

"You men, wrench your hands and come in here! It's time to eat." said ma. "There it is if you like, and there it is if you don't like it. Papa, you say grace."

"Father, we thank you for this food we're about to eat, the hands that fixed it, and Jess and Laura who came to visit. Amen"

This shore nuff looks good, Annie. You always was a jim-dandy cook, the best anywhere around, said Jess.

I just love your grits and poke salad. I've got to get your recipe for collards and turnip greens. I just caint cook it the way you do, Annie, said Laura .I cook em too long, I guess, and they's too dry ever time I fix em..

"Oh, Laura, you don't do no such a thing! Your food is mighty good larrapin, if I do say so myself," said ma. 

Pass me some of that ox tail, Gus! I ain't et ox tail since I don't know when, since we came to these parts, I  suppose, said Jess.

I like the brains better myself. Scramble em up with eggs, and you caint beat it! my papa said. Jess , you picked just the right time to visit, I'll  tell you what! When we have compny,  you can always count a good meal!

 Oh, hush your mouth, Gus! You know better than to talk like that. I ain't seen you missin no meals! (They all laugh) You're bout as fat as a hog!

Oh, Annie, you know I'se just rilen ya.  Your food's the best in the land. Just look at my belly! If it gets any bigger, it's gonna pop!