"She did sent a blushing emoji when I sent her a picture of you, so maybe she does find you attractive," replied Maddy, smiling at the sound of Kai genuinely happy with his new place. "What were you calling about? Just to talk?"

"Uh, no. So... you've probably figured out by now that I haven't yet killed the Gemini Coven."

"Oh, yeah... I almost forgot about that, to be honest. But I suppose if you'd done it already, I would have heard about it. What's the matter? I thought that you would have tried to do it as soon as you got away."

"Um... here's the thing. The emotions... the good ones... they make me feel bad. I felt really excited the other day when I did the spell to unlink Jo and Liv from the Coven. Like, it was nice. But then I started to think about what they'll feel when I actually take down the Coven. I was learning about something called 'survivor's guilt' and it was... a lot to take in. What if they feel that then they get mad at me and make me feel bad about something that I would normally feel good about? Like getting revenge on the people that hurt me would suddenly be really shitty. And like, what if they get angry at me for killing our dad? They'd hate me. And I don't want them to hate me."

"To be fair," said Maddy, "Stefan killed our dad, and I don't hate him. Giuseppe was a terrible man. And your dad wasn't a saint in any way."

"Then another thing," Kai continued, "is that they'll get mad at you. You helped me get Jo's blood without her consent. You helped me go through with unlinking my sisters from the Coven. If Jo or Liv finds out... well, it might ruin Liv's relationship with Enzo 'cause obviously he'll understand why you did it and probably take your side. But the bigger problem is Jo. She's your doctor. She's helping you with your baby. She's gonna get mad at you and she'll feel hurt and you'd need to find another doctor and that's only gonna hurt you. I don't want to ruin that for you."

Maddy half-smiled. "That's very sweet of you, Kai. I hadn't thought of that. What are you going to do, then?"

"I'm thinking that maybe, I could get the heretics out. If I tell them my plan, they can help me execute it and also teach me what to do when I become a heretic. That way, you won't be involved, really, and I can say I used my own blood to unlink my sisters. Bam. Then, you don't suffer for it."

She winced. "You don't have to do that to protect me."

"Hey, you helped me, I help you. Plus, you've got a kid on the way and it needs the kind of care that only my sister can provide. You don't sound too excited about this idea, though. Kinda thought you'd be a bit happier."

"I don't know how I feel about you releasing the heretics."

"Why?"

"It's just..." she figured she might as well tell him, "my mom wasn't what I expected her to be. She was honestly really shitty. Cared more about her other family in there than us. She wasn't even excited to see me, really. Or excited to know she was gonna be a grandma. She feels nothing for us. And I feel like being cruel. Like denying her a chance to see her family. It's just conflicting though, because Stefan really wants to see one of the heretics, 'cause I guess he knew her back in the 1860s. I don't know... I think they deserve their freedom, but knowing how much my mom prefers them over me makes me really, really jealous." She sighed. "Whatever. You know what, I can't be selfish here and decide they need to stay in there just cause I want to hurt my mom. It's fine. Let them out, if you would like. Just be careful... they might hurt you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Whatever is best for you, Kai. Honestly, I appreciate you considering this solely to protect me. I don't deserve that. I honestly didn't think of how fucked up it would be if I played a part in killing your dad after how kind Jo has been to me. It's like me betraying Rebekah Mikaelson all over again. I guess I can still be a really shitty person even if I'm not a vampire."