24. The Council...

"This is ridiculous! It's been a year! How have you fools not found her?" The man yelled. He slammed his hands into the conference table. A young man and woman stood in front of the ten- person seated rectangular dark brown table. They wore grimaces on their faces but kept their heads down and arms behind their backs.

"Sir, we believe that she is hidden in the Aianes Rivera Pack's territory. We sent a hunter to search but we heard no new reports. The Alpha is also not co-operating with us." The young man said.
The enraged man growled.

"That damn bitch's son is just like his mother," he said.

Machar Finnegani, the head of the Council and the strongest of the shifters among them lead the Council with an enraged hand.

"Calm down Machar. We'll find mother eventually. Getting angry won't do us any good," said Una Finnegani, his half sister and second in command.

"That woman is the key to us fulfilling our duties to father and she got away, again!" he continued his outburst.

"You two, leave," Una ordered the young ones. They bowed and scurried out the room.

The Council was once a large figure head that functioned under the Monarch of the Shifters. The Council was the homebase of his operations. Until their mother, their Goddess sealed their father away. A rebellion led by one of the ex-council members soon followed, dividing their already depleted numbers in half and destabilizing their fortitude.

Dub'h the third seat of the Council stood and patted his older brother's shoulders.

"You're gonna get wrinkles if you frown like that anymore Mac," he said with a subtle British accent.

"Shut up," Machar growled.

"The Monarch isn't here. Stop trying to play 'the perfect son' role," said Dub'h. Machar grabbed him by his collar.

"That is enough out of the both of you. Machar, release him at once," ordered Una with a thick british accent. Machar shoved his brother away and stomped his way out of the room.

Una offered her younger brother a hand. Dub'h accepted and stood up.

"Stop agitating him Dub'h, its not the time for this. Soon our mother will return to us and she'll release our father from his prison. Bickering will not get us anywhere," she said.
Una was the calmest of the siblings. She kept them all at peace even if they were always at odds.

"Go babysit your mate and leave me the hell alone," Dub'h grumbled. Una sighed. She nodded at the rest of the Council's members and they stood and left.

Machar, Una and Dub'h made up the three head post of the Council as the oldest and closest of the Monarch's children. The other seven seats were the other siblings and the heads of the strongest known shifter packs.

"We had her. She was so close and she just had to run to their pack," Machar grumbled.

"Patience Machar. The time will come," said Una. Dub'h huffed and rolled his eyes at her faux aristocratic behavior.

"You still talk like you are a sixteenth century British lady of the court. You know people with our skin weren't free enough to do that," said Dub'h.

She ignored his words and looked at her elder brother.
Dub'h sighed.
"I'm leaving for a while, let me know when you actually have mother, I'll be useless until then anyway." Dub'h shrugged and walked off.

"You irritable son of a bitch," Machar growled.

"I'm not the one who lost her in the first place," he shot back in a sing-song tone before closing the door.