10. Who is They?...

Running...

The one thing she knew she had to do.
She had to get away from them. They were going to end her life the moment they got their hands on her. She limped her way through the unclaimed territory. She stayed away from packs. Though they practically were her children, she did not like them. They grew to be ignorant fools, blinded by power and incapable of learning their own origins to create substance to their character. But she had no other option. Her black blood poison the earth it dripped on because of the poison in her system. She'd lost her energy, her supplies and her hope.
Her only option was her other children. She stepped into the territory and allowed herself to be captured by shifters she assumed was  on patrol. Her treatment was poor considering all pack oriented shifters thought of lone shifters who breached territories to be on death row.

As long as it bought her time, she did not care about their thoughts and treatment of her.

However, she did not expect to find him there. Someone who was supposedly her destined lover based on the system she created. It was something she didn't expect in her entire endless life. But she was happy, happy to know that there was hope for her to be loved again.

Then reality set in. Knowing him would only put him and those in his life in grave danger. She couldn't have another tragedy on her hands, so she gave into her desires then tossed them aside entirely. She had priorities, a mate was never one of them. She needed time and rest, lots of it. If her plans for the future were going to work out, she had to make a choice.

□ □ □ □

"That is as far as I can remember. Everything else is conclusion and hypotheses that I've deduced," she said to him.
She and Erebus sat at the picnic setting with their fingers intertwined. He refused to let go of her hand.

"You said that your children are hunting you. Does that mean that shifters are after you?" asked Erebus.

"Maybe. It is possible," she replied.

"Alright, we'll figure this out, together," he promised. Selene's eyes watered at his statement.

"I am sorry. I have twisted your faith and very life. Because I needed to hide and preserve my life, I am risking yours," she said through light sobs.

Erebus shifted her onto his lap and hugged her gently.

"None of that matters. A twisted fate is still fate nonetheless. Denying that would be denying you and our child, something I have no intention of ever doing," he spoke firmly.

Selene swallowed her sniffles and smiled. She placed Erebus' hand on her tummy for him to feel the warmth their child felt from his words. He grinned at the feeling.

"How about for now, we enjoy the bond and get to know each other?" Erebus offered.
Selene nodded enthusiastically.

The two spent the rest of the evening talking and getting to know each other. Erebus was fascinated with hearing the way Selene spoke of her discoveries she didn't know of the world. Her favorite topics were cartoons and food.
Selene was fascinated by Erebus' adventures and life as an Alpha. She was slightly saddened to hear of his adventures to search for his mate. Had she not taken away his memories, he could've avoided the unnecessary travelling.

They gathered their things and walked back to Selene's home. The two were all smiles and light chuckles.

Erebus paused as he saw Beta Garrett running towards them in his shifted form.
Selene hid behind Erebus.