Megan bobbed her head in agreement and turned the microphone back to herself. "And the National Park Service does want to remind travelers that you can find any information regarding park closures on their website. There are currently two trails closed to hikers due to the ongoing investigation. Back to you, Christie."

The blonde anchor came back on the screen, and I muted the T.V., suddenly feeling sick to my stomach. I couldn't listen to any more news. It was too emotionally exhausting already.

My phone ringing in the kitchen nearly startled me out of my skin and I rushed to grab it to silence the ear-piercing sound. It was Michelle calling.

"Hey," I said, tapping the speaker button and leaning back against the counter, my legs suddenly feeling too weak to hold my body up.

"Kenzie, you sound out of breath. What's going on? Are you okay?" she asked in a panic.

Her voice sounded a little far away from the phone and I heard a white noise sound in the background that indicated she was driving and talking to me via Bluetooth in her car.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, knowing I couldn't fool her. She knew me too well.

"That's a load."

I rolled my eyes and turned around to rest my folded arms on the island. "Michelle, I'm sorry. I'm just shaken up over everything that's going on, you know. I just watched the news, and they had the photo I took on the screen and it just made everything so... real. That sounds ridiculous, cause of course it's real, but I guess the magnitude of the situation didn't fully hit me until I saw that, and now it's just got my nerves all wound up."

Michelle had always been my most understanding and caring friend. She could read me like a book and somehow seemed to always know what was on my mind or how I was feeling even before I did, and she would do everything she could to help me, no matter the situation. Granted, up until now, the situation had always consisted of a breakup, stress with work, or the rare financial blip when we were both trying to find our ways in life. Murder had never been something either of us expected to tango with, and I could tell by the tone in her voice it was really bothering Michelle that she didn't have all the answers for me this time.

"I'm so sorry, Kenz." Her voice was quieter, full of sympathy. "I hate that you're a part of this now. I really wanted this to be a fun, easy trip for you where you could actually relax for a change. I just hate that this is going on."

I didn't know what to say. I was mentally drained.

"Why don't I come over and we can have a girls' night?" she suggested. "I'll bring wine and romcoms."

The business-focused part of my brain automatically wanted to decline on account of needing to get more work done, but I knew she would come over anyway even if I said I wasn't in the mood, so I relented.

"That sounds good."

It didn't, if I'm being honest. I would've rather just flopped down under the covers and hidden from the world for the rest of the night. But I hoped the wine would loosen up my tensing nerves, and laughter with a friend would get all this homicide stuff off my mind. So maybe it wasn't such a terrible idea after all.

"Great! I'll see you in about thirty minutes. I just have to run by the store real quick."

We hung up and the ear-piercing silence suddenly filled the house again. The T.V., still muted, had the weather forecast on, and I noticed that the next three days were supposed to be pleasant and sunny before more rain moved in with a cold front. That would make photography a lot easier for me.

While I waited for Michelle to arrive, I decided to busy myself with work. I knew I wouldn't be getting anything accomplished for the rest of the night while Michelle was at the house, and since there would be wine involved, she'd probably spend the night, so I felt the need to seize the opportunity.