Chapter 21

I wasn't going to wait for Blake to call after his shift was over. The bowling ball sized lump in my throat had me climbing the walls with a need for answers. And then there was the nagging thought of what if I didn't like the answers he would give me? What if it meant the end of our relationship, or whatever this was between us? Would Blake be angry with me for wanting to know? I knew I shouldn't let something so trivial worry me. Who cares if he got angry? I needed to understand. I needed to know... if his father could be the Acadia Killer.

I need to talk to you. It's important. I sent Blake a quick text and hoped for an equally fast reply.

My phone buzzed with a new message within a minute. Did something happen? Are you okay?

I swallowed the nervous feeling in my gut and responded with what I wanted to call confidence, and hoped he would give me the satisfaction of a mature message back.

It's about your father.

Moments passed by with no answer. When I glanced up to see the hands on the clock had gone fifteen minutes around the face since I'd sent the text, I got the idea that Blake wasn't going to respond. Maybe I'd struck a nerve. Surely, I'd struck a nerve. He had no idea I even knew about his father, let alone wanted to discuss the man. That had to have surprised him. Maybe I was in the wrong for being so blunt, but how else do you say something like that? It's pretty tough to cushion telling someone you need to talk to them about their convicted murderer of a dad. Hey, at least I hadn't referred to him as such.

We'll talk tonight.

The response caught me off guard after waiting several minutes. I was surprised he answered after that, but then again, I also didn't think he'd leave me hanging. Blake was a good guy. That's what Michelle had sworn to me, and I trusted her with my life. Plus, he had yet to give me any reason to doubt his honesty and integrity. Maybe I'd just been overthinking the whole thing.

Deciding I needed advice, I started to call Michelle when my phone starting ringing in my hand. The caller ID listed Krista Hall. Crap. I'd forgotten to call her back!

"Good morning, Krista," I answered, trying my best to cover up the sickness plaguing my voice at the thought of talking to her again.

I really liked Krista, but she'd put me in a very uncomfortable position with the article proposal, and an even bigger predicament having to likely choose between the article that could endanger me more and the career I was trying to dive full force into. I didn't want to be the person to make that decision.

"Mackenzie, it's good to hear your cheerful voice," she greeted me. Good, I'd fooled her. "I'm just calling you back in regards to that article we'd discussed the other day. Now that you've had time to think it over, what are your thoughts?"

I hesitated for a moment, but then the word vomit started. "To be totally honest, Krista, I'm kind of terrified of doing an article that puts me out there for the world to see when this lunatic is still on the loose. I completely understand your position and trying to do what's best for your magazine and engage readers, but I don't know how I can do this and feel safe in my current location afterwards if this guy isn't apprehended. I'm so sorry."

There was a silence, followed by what sounded like Krista taking in a sharp breath. I braced for impact, sure that she was going to scream into my ear and tell me I had no chance at her magazine.

"Mackenzie, I understand your position," she said, catching me completely off guard. "I really do. I know it's a tough place to put you in with everything that's going on. Unfortunately, I do need you to understand as well that you're competing for a job at one of the most prestigious travel magazines in the world, and with that comes great risk as a journalist and photographer. If you are to get this position with Worldwide, we will send you to remote locations of the globe and the occasional areas that are not safe. It's all part of getting the story and the images to share with our readers. You have to be willing to take the risk, Mackenzie. If that's not something you're up for, I'm afraid we're going to have to remove your application from the list."