Chapter 6

When the five o'clock news report rolled around, I was parked on the couch, anxiously awaiting any updates on the homicides in Acadia. The top story, to my dismay, was a rockfall on a nearby highway that shut down the road. The thunderstorms had caused some flooding which sent boulders tumbling down the cliff. I sat through ten minutes of news before the blonde all-business-no-smiles anchor shifted the conversation to the park murders.

"And now, we do want to bring you an update on the two homicides that took place in Acadia National Park in the last thirty-six hours," she began, gesturing to the big screen behind her where a field reporter stood on live camera, waiting to be introduced. "Megan Hillborn has the latest for us, live from the ranger station at the park entrance."

This was a different reporter from the one who had given the first two updates I'd seen. This girl was younger and looked like she was fresh out of college. I recognized the building she was standing in front of. It was right off the main road going into the park. There were ranger trucks parked in front of the building and a couple Bar Harbor police cruisers as well.

"Thanks, Christie," the reporter smiled at the camera and the cameraman panned out to bring a ranger into view standing beside her. "I've got park ranger Mike Crimson with me to tell us a little more about what the authorities have discovered so far."

She turned the microphone over to Mike, whose somber expression made my heart hurt. "Megan, our suspect is still at large, but thankfully, now we do have a suspect," he began. "A visitor to the park was able to capture a photo of the man whom we think committed these murders yesterday."

My heart felt like it did a backflip at the words leaving his mouth. I knew they were talking about me, and I knew they wouldn't tell the world that it was me who took the picture, but a part of me was nervous about them bringing it up live on the news.

The park ranger continued, "I think you have that to put up on the screen for your viewers. I'd like everyone at home to take a good hard look at the image on your screen, and if you think you've seen this man or have any information pertaining to this case, please contact local police or the park service immediately. This individual is described as being a white male, thirty to fifty years old, approximately six-foot-two, and wearing black jeans, a black hoodie, and black hiking boots. We think he's been in the park for at least a week, possibly scouting for victims and familiarizing himself with the terrain, so it's very likely someone would have seen this man and can provide us with a better physical description."

There it was on the screen right in front of me. My photo was on the news for all to see. The police had cropped the image to focus on just the figure in the trees, and the lighting and sharpness had been altered to produce a clearer result. It was still a bit fuzzy, and you really couldn't see any additional detail, in my opinion, but I was sure the police had ways of seeing details in images that the average person wouldn't notice.

My heart thudded in a harsh rhythm that elicited a ringing in my tears as the two people on T.V. continued talking. I was too busy staring, unable to blink, at my photo on the screen to hear what they were saying. Finally, the picture went away, and the reporter came back into view. She was nodding along to each thing the ranger said while trying to tame some flyaway hairs that kept falling in front of her face.

"Ranger Crimson, what is your advice to anyone currently visiting or planning a visit to Acadia while this suspect is still on the loose?"

The ranger turned his attention back to the camera and his expression seemed to harden as he briefly thought about his response before continuing.

"Megan, I'd advise that anyone who visits the park should stay extremely vigilant, especially if traveling alone. Do not travel through the park by foot at night. I highly recommend traveling in groups, as this individual is obviously targeting lone tourists. If you do happen to encounter our suspect, do not approach him. Get to a safe location and notify authorities."