Chapter 51-Behind That Locked Door 🕒Wednesday, January 1st, 1964🕞

Start from the beginning

With the boys going home to Liverpool that morning for a brief show at the Empire before taking the train back to London, she had traveled home to stay with George's parents. Not wanting to intrude upon their family time and after my long night with Flint, I stayed at home, spending the next few days with the Ashers and preparing for the upcoming tour dates as I would be staying with the boys in London while they played the Finsbury Park Astoria Theatre the last week of December.

Christmas Eve, the boys had played a show at the Astoria and upon finishing, all went home to be with their loved ones, respectively. I spent Christmas Eve with the Ashers, in addition to Paul of course. Ringo had taken the train back to Liverpool for some more extended time with his mum while John had gone home to be with Julian and Cynthia, leaving George to come and stay the night with us. It really was a "Garry Crimble" and I couldn't have wished for better people to spend it with. Between myself, Paul and George, we shared a tender night with people who I knew I may never see again once we left for the remainder of the tour. The Ashers had been so good to me and I knew it would be hard leaving Jane and her precious and sincere family. But Brian had been convinced to bring me along as bookkeeper on their Christmas Show and as the boys headed next month to France, they would need some looking after. I was, without so many words, dubbed "babysitter" and "tour mum" as the boys headed on their way to becoming "toppermost of the poppermost."

John and I had a serious heart to heart talk after the boys had returned from Liverpool. Neither he nor George knew anything of Flint and I was destined to keep it that way. However, I had deemed it necessary to tell John a less extreme version of why they needed to wait to go to America than their previously scheduled tour. I made sure to leave out any details that might have set his mind ablaze, including but not limited to the world ending, our existence ceasing, and the space time continuum complete with Temporal Agents. The man was already a walking literary guru; I didn't need to encourage him further.

George, meanwhile, seemed to keep a wary eye on John ever since he had caught us fraternizing that night in the parking lot behind the studio. It broke my heart in slight to sense his lack of trust in me and his bandmate but I also knew better than to subject George to more of my saga. It had already been hard enough on him as it was and I couldn't risk the potential of having both of them carry my emotional burden. Not to mention the fact that he had been so very sweet vouching for me every step of the way, in letting me travel with them for the Christmas Show.

Which brings us to today, right in the thick of their Christmas Tour, ringing in 1964 in our elegant 5-Star London hotel room. The boys had upcoming shows in London the following couple of weeks at both the Astoria and the London Palladium January 12th before hopping on a train to Versailles for a special show January 15th and then off to Paris, which would take us all the way up to Ed Sully in New York. And I was, so it seemed, along for the ride.

As I lay, waiting for sleep to overtake me, I felt George move in his sleep to get closer and soon felt his arms encircling around me. I grinned in contentment and pleasure, the simple act lulling me off to sleep. It was 1964 and George Harrison was still mine to keep...for now...

~~~

I awoke to the worst headache of my life and to find Brian peering over my head in what could only be interpreted as disgust.

I rolled over in bed and squinted up at him.

"Brian, how'd you get in here?"

"Elementary. I have a key."

I groaned and snuggled back up to George.

"Well, do you mind? Either come in or stay out? You're letting the light in."

The man said nothing, taking a step closer and slamming the door. If the boys weren't awake before, they were now. Curses rang out throughout the hotel room as Brian moved to cast open the drapes.

"I don't suppose you boys know what time it is?"

Paul flopped over the side of the bed he was currently sharing with John. "Have a heart, Eppy. It's New Year's Day."

The manager turned back to me, scowling slightly. Sure, Brian and I got on fine, but nevertheless, it had taken a considerable amount of convincing until he had finally agreed to let me be an unofficial extra addition to the team. I knew I was only testing him now, realizing how unprofessional it was that I was now sharing sleeping quarters with the men I was supposed to be looking after, George's girl or not. He spoke and it was like the room had frozen solid.

"I was unaware that you found your single sleeping quarters inadequate, Miss Parker." Miss Parker. Ouch. That hurt. I looked up at him, feigning innocence, and shrugging.

"It's New Year's?"

Brian handed me a robe, surveying the room of hungover men. "I'd like to speak with the boys now. Do you mind?"

I got the signal. Grabbing the robe that was practically thrust at me, I left the room, sulkingly. I knew there would be no vouching for me this early in the morning and frankly, I didn't expect it, even from Paul who seemed to have the most sunshine in the morning. Nevertheless, I felt a pang of hurt as I turned to head down the hall to my private sleeping quarters that Brian had been so gracious in paying for to avoid any "scandals that may otherwise arise."

It wasn't until I reached my room that something occured to me which hadn't occured before - poor sod was probably jealous. I looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror which stared back tiredly, dark circles lining my pale and sunken face and groaned, stepping into the shower. As the warm water poured over me, I let out a sigh, massaging my aching head. I reached for the soap when suddenly, it wasn't there. I blinked a few times, my fingers gripping air. Then, I felt cold, my body no longer immersed in the hot water. I shot up, breathing heavily. I was in a room that at first, appeared unfamiliar to me until I heard his voice...no, it couldn't be! It wasn't time!

"Victor?"

Then...the next I knew, there he was, towering over me. Smiling.

"Welcome home, Wendy."