Chapter 4

4
━━━━━▲━━━━━

Yazia had finally made it to the heart of Abingor.

Prince Aeneas exited the carriage first, and held out his arm for her to take. When Yazia reached for it, she stopped. The veil that hid her true identity had been lifted, and she watched the shadows that earlier danced around her body now scatter away into dust. Yazia released a deep breath, closing her eyes to bring the shadows back. Within minutes, she could almost become like them; like a mortal.

I wish the veil lasted longer...

She remembered when she had learnt to conceal parts of herself from whomever she wanted. It made especially useful now where nobody would be able to tell that she was from a royal-bloodline, yet alone a Sankorian.

When she opened her eyes again, Yazia gazed over the infamous Palace. She grasped onto Aeneas' with one gloved hand, the other holding onto her heavy, red dress-skirt.

"Are you ready for this?" Aeneas whispered softly into her ear. He didn't need to tell her much about how the court worked in Abingor. It wasn't much different from Sankorian courts. The main difference, however, was that this court had a lot more Humans. Aeneas had also told her about how the King has many names; his most prominent being King of Death.

She felt bad that her Kingdom was shrivelling into dust, while Abingor stood tall, and untouchable. Since her parents' death, Sankori has been weakened. She wanted everything for her people, and that day that this wish would come true was mere steps away.

It will all change, soon.

The Palace was a grand structure, made of a mosaic of humble rocks, each unique in size. The entire length of the building was built with most of the villages winding its way downwards, and the road they travelled on moved from broken parchment to smooth asphalt.

The King of Abingor was undoubtedly a grand conqueror. One she was sure to impress tonight. Yazia knew that her choices were slim, it would be that or meeting her demise.

"Yes, I'm ready." She nodded. The King would receive each Lady at the dais. The King never descends the steps to interact with the party. Instead, he sits. He watches.

One never goes into battle unprepared.

Yazia walked at a leisurely pace and entered through the grand archway of the Palace. At the arch, guards patrolled the grounds. It would be a busy night, and it was important that the Palace was impregnable, untouchable. It made her nervous. As she passed by the guard, with Prince Aeneas at her arm, they were stopped.

Bowing and barring the entry with his spear before asking, "Welcome to Abingor. By the order of the King, you are requested to give your names."

They'll know who I am...

Aeneas turned his eyes to the guard and gestured to himself. "Prince Aeneas of Silvern." Then he pointed toward Yazia. "And Lady--"

"Malya Leski," Yazia cut in, heaving. When the guard looked at her in bewilderment, she added, "Lady Malya Leski."

"Very well." The guard bowed again and stepped aside. "Enjoy the party."