Yellow

"Obi-Wan," her sapphire eyes glowed in the glistening, yellow sunset. Her delicate fingers clasped his smooth hands as she stepped closer, closing the gap of time and uncertainty between them. Her quivering lips hovered a breath away from his, misty clouds curling out as she huffed excitedly, nervously. "Don't go. Stay here, with me. I love you, and I don't want to spend my life without you."

The eighteen-year-old Jedi-in-training glanced uneasily towards his waiting master. How could he leave his mentor, his father-figure, and his closest friend? But then, how could he deny this beautiful, strong-willed young woman the one request she had ever made of him? He had promised himself, as those thrilling, heart-stopping weeks had sped by, that, had she said the word, he would leave the Jedi Order.

But Qui-Gon watched him, not with judgment or disapproval, but with a soft smile and kind eyes that saw the blossoming love before him. He did not instruct his padawan to return with him, to abandon his crazy, hopeful future. He only nodded once, silently granting the permission that Obi-Wan so earnestly craved.

The young man, having barely flourished from boyhood, turned back to Satine, squeezing her hands and sucking in a breath. He paused, only to have his breath taken as the last rays of sunlight set her yellow hair bleeding golden. "I'll stay. I'll follow you wherever you want to go, and I promise – promise – to love you, all my life."

___

Duke Kenobi of Mandalore ascended the steps to his throne, assisting his queen to hers, never quite able to get over the beauty of the one by his side. She smiled sweetly at him, her golden hair glowing yellow in the sun, before settling onto her chair and affixing her mask of duty, ready for the day's trials and pleasures.

He sat beside her, swinging one leg over the other and resting his chin on his closed fist. The long, rectangular room was lit by the golden rays of morning sunlight streaming through the wall of windows to the right. It had never lost its beauty or its charm from the very first day that he had decided to stay. He had walked away from the Order to be with the love of his life, and he had not regretted it. Certainly, there were things he missed – Qui-Gon, not least of all – but if given the opportunity, he would have it no other way.

Today was a "paperwork day," where he and Satine mostly roamed the throne room, signing digital documents, reading contracts, and bookkeeping. It was never especially thrilling, and although Obi-Wan knew the secretaries had done their best to minimise their work, there was also something therapeutic about doing mindless tasks. Having restored the war-torn planet over the last twenty years, most days had been filled with exhilaration, intrigue, and sometimes danger.

So having a quiet day with no plans seemed rather appealing. Especially when he and Satine had decided it unnecessary to dress in their finest garb. Tidiness was never far from the pair, but comfort was more of a goal today.

For the handsome youth, freshly turned twenty, who entered the throne room, however, cleanliness and order was of utmost importance. Auburn hair, combed neatly to the side, trim white tunic, and flashing maroon boots, he was the picture of perfection and charisma.

"Good morning, Mother," he greeted Satine politely, bowing slightly at the bottom of the stairs. He dipped his head at Obi-Wan. "Good morning, Father."

"Morning, Korkie," Obi-Wan responded warmly, proud of every inch that was his firstborn. "Where are your sisters?"

Irritation passed his face as he frowned at the door. "They should be coming shortly. I had expected they would have arrived by now."

Right on cue, the door burst open, a flurry of fiery red hair and rustling blue skirts falling through it. "I'm coming!" the sixteen-year-old gasped, unaware that the door was closing on the older blonde who followed behind her.