III

Art

"Saglit! Saan ka pupunta ngayon?" Hinabol ko ang mangilan-ngilan niyang hakbang pababa ng hagdan, muntik na siyang matapilok nang matapakan niya ang dulo ng kanyang mahabang kasuotan.

Tumigil naman siya pero hindi na siya tumingin. "Susubukan kong alalahanin ang daan pauwi," kumunot ang aking noo sa naging sagot niya.

I didn't stop her from walking away, instead, I watched her as she went on. Few people were staring at it amusingly, some were curious. Maia looks like a princess wearing her ballgown, and the place where I found her is also odd.

Nang mapansin kong hindi na siya abot ng paningin ko ay nagmadali na akong lumabas. Luminga-linga ako, at doon ko nakumpirmang baka nga, siguro, isa lang siyang estranghero kagaya ko.

Walking on the way to the parking lot, Clara called.

"What's up, Kuya?"

"Hey, uuwi na ako nang madaling-araw, wala kang kasama diyan?"

"Huh?! No, you can stay there.  Clubbing, partying, and enjoying the city! Don't worry about me, I have Celene, and isa pa, I'm already 18!"

"Nosy. Ang dami mong sinabi, isa lang ang tinanong ko. If I want to, I would do, Clara. Ano'ng gagawin ko sa club?"

"Iinom, magpa-party! What kind of question is that, brother?! Basta, Kuya, kapag umuwi ka agad, bahala ka, ikaw din ang mananawa sa bunganga ko."

"The hell? Nakakairita ka. Just make sure that you're safe and fine there. Message me if there's something wrong, got it?"

"Got it! Take care, bro! Love lots!"

I shook my head and pressed my temple as I put my phone under my pocket. She is really my mother's daughter. Sometimes I appreciate them  giving me credit for doing things, but often, they are the one who decides for me.

Mom already paid our hotel bills for a week. She adds money to my credit card, though I don't need it because cash is enough for me to wander around. I don't buy material things when I go to the mall, I have it already. Maybe I will invite Steve to a road trip to Baguio and we'll go to a club.

And as I watched the golden hour scene, I saw her again. Sitting on the bench of lover's lane. Holding a gumamela flower in her hand.

There's part of me that telling me to not go to her, but the way she frowned and pony her hair, it pulled me close to her. Tuluyang nagmadali ang mga binti ko nang magtagpo ang aming mga tingin.

Gulat siyang tumingala sa akin, tila hipnotismo ang mga inosente niya mata na tanging sa akin lang nakapokus. Dahan-dahan siyang tumayo at pinagpag ang kanyang ballgown.

"Sinundan mo ba ako?"

My lips rose up and I licked my lips. She scrunched the tip of her nose.

"Nakita lang kita rito, pauwi na rin ako," Pinasadahan ko ng tingin ang buhok niya na medyo maayos ang pagkakatali.

She nodded and looked away afterwards. I sat beside her, where she used to sit before. She gave me a single glance.

"How are you going to get home, then? And, wait, have you eaten already?"

I was amuse when she did not take her eyes away from the gumamela, instead of answering me, she counted the tips of the flower until it turned zero. Doon lang siya nag-angat muli ng tingin.

"How I wish I could go back later, before the sunset. Even if I don't know what lane I should take," She smiled softly yet the sadness in her eyes didn't go away. I look into her eyes... there is something in it.