Chapter 44: 'I'm Just A Sidekick' by Team StarKid

"I've been in the shadows for far too long
But I'm the leading man of this song
I was a stupid doofus but now that's gone

[...]

Am I the strongest?
No, I'm not
Am I the smartest?
No, I'm not
Am I the hottest?
No, I'm not
But am I the greatest?
No, I'm not"

Ron Weasley ain't no idiot. He knew there was something off when his best friend stormed off after Draco, yelled at him, and stomped back down. Harry was practically fuming, but clearly trying his best to hide it. Ron hadn't been able to make out what he and Draco had been having a screaming match over, but everything about Harry's attitude said "don't ask." And so, Ron didn't ask. He was a good friend like that, knowing when to back off. It didn't make him any less worried.

When Harry arrived back at the dinner table, he said: "Draco won't be joining the rest of the conversation."

"Yes, I gathered that much from him walking away." Hermione replied curtly.

Harry continued: "He said he trusts our judgement, so I say Draco doesn't take Polyjuice."

Ron made a last attempt at protesting, but couldn't form a coherent enough argument. He was too taken aback by the sudden shift in Harry's mood. He finally sighed and conceded. Hermione agreed with Harry, too.

"Good. We'll do the heist the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow we rest up. For now, meeting adjourned." Harry concluded.

He then headed towards the kitchen, leaving Ron and Hermione to share a look that said a thousand words.

If one were to put their shared look to paper, the words went a little like this:

Hermione: "What the fuck was that about?"

Ron: "No idea. He hasn't been like this since the necklace."

Hermione: "I know! Do you think he's got something like a Horcrux, affecting his mood?"

Ron: "No, he would have told us. Right? He tells us everything. Unless he thinks it will worry us. So yes, maybe?"

Hermione: "He could have been sleeping badly. Nightmares, perhaps? Visions?"

Ron: "He had those in the tent and back at Hogwarts, too. That wouldn't explain this. I guess it's just Draco getting on his nerves."

Hermione: "Draco gets on our nerves too, you don't see us throwing tantrums like this."

Ron: "Maybe it was warranted? Maybe Draco said something hurtful?"

Hermione: "It wouldn't be unlike him, that's for sure."

A pause as they looked back at Harry, then at each other again.

Hermione: "You know what we have to do, right?"

Ron: "I'll talk to Harry."

Hermione: "I'll talk to Draco."

Ron: "You sure? We could switch."

Hermione: "No, it's okay. Thanks, though. It's sweet."

Ron cracked a small smile at them. She seemed to blush, which was cute.

Ron: "I'll do it tomorrow, he's way too upset now. I'm not up for becoming another casualty of his bad mood."

Hermione: "I have no idea what Draco's mood is like, but maybe it's best I wait 'till tomorrow as well."

Ron: "Okay."

Hermione: "Okay."

Then, when everything was discussed and in order, the two broke eye contact.