Chapter 16: Fluffy Filled Morning

Start from the beginning

Maggie takes the nickname, this time, in stride. "Yea, G'mornin." Happiness evident in her tone.

"Oh, she speaks?"

"You're so lucky you're injured or I would have thrown this pillow squarely in that gold-encrusted face of yours."

"Its diamond detective, diamond-encrusted face."

Maggie tries to rub the sleep that's still in her eyes, trying hard to not fall asleep again. She knows it would feel good to rest more but she knows too much sleep can just make her feel even more tired than before.

The bed shifts, it's Lena trying to shuffle closer, as best as she can with her injuries. The CEO picks something up from the spot next to Maggie, the detective doesn't pay much attention.

"What's their name?"

The detective props herself on her elbows and turns towards the CEO, "What's whose-" She looks at who Lena was referring to.

The raveness was holding Fluffy, petting him. Maggie freezes for a second, but only for a second. I am safe, this is home.

"His name is Fluffy."

The raveness laughs a bit, not maniacally or mean though. "I have like three stuffies named fluffy. I renamed my favourite Oliver, he has the softest fur."

Lena is still petting Fluffy, scratching the stuffed elephant behind his ears as if they were a real-life pet.

Maggie would usually insist on having him back but she isn't in little space right now. She is fine with her most prized possession being cuddled up by someone else, for now.

"Can I cuddle him, just-, just till I can have Ollie?" The CEO asks in a whisper, her voice wavers a bit. The detective can see her eyes are a bit glassy, she can hear the pick-up in sniffles.

"Of course, you can cuddle him, he loves company." Maggie scoots as close as she can to Lena, weary not to jostle her too much. She pulls the CEO into a hug and guides her head to her chest. She shuffles them into a lying position.

They sit in a bit of heavy silence, the Luthor breaks it first.

"The other day was- it was scary." Her words are a bit muffled due to her face smoothed up to the Latina's chest. Her tone is choked, As though she was afraid to even udder words, lest this all finally break her.

The tiny detective keeps quiet for now, she brings her unoccupied hand up to her friend's hair, she massages it, plays with it. Just like how her mama's do it when she is feeling overwhelmed and needs some comfort and contact. She can feel the CEO settle a bit.

"I know, but you're safe now, with people who love you. I'm so sorry that happened, but you're ok now, you're safe." Maggie can feel the tears pile onto her shirt, they soak into the fabric, leaving room for more of their friends to follow right behind. Maggie unconsciously sings the Kryptonian lullaby Sammy sings for her all the time.

The CEO starts to calm, she clutches Fluffy firmer though, not ready to let go of the soft comfort. He's buried under her chin, his large floppy ears brush her cheek.

"Kara sings me that song after I have nightmares, or when I can't sleep." Maggie hums in acknowledgment, her fingers still playing with the long brown tresses.

"Mommy always sings it to me too. When there are too many voices and I can't hear. When she sings, I can focus on that, and her heartbeat, it makes them all stop talking. It allows me to breathe." She stops and reminisces, then continues.

"Sam has a faint memory of Reign left her with, even though she was just a baby, she has this faint memory of someone singing it to her, it's stuck in her head. It used to make her sad, or angry because the vessel she lives in was made to be a weapon of destruction. She sang it by accident once, I was having a panic attack and she couldn't touch me, I wouldn't allow her. She just started to sing, I asked her about it later, she said I looked like I was about to pass out so singing came to mind. It helped me a lot. Now she uses it all the time, and even in the shower or making breakfast, she has come to embrace it, embrace that part of her."

Maggie realizes too late that she let the m-word slip. She didn't want to reveal that much, too late now. Lena doesn't seem fazed by the slip at all though.

"Yea, Sammy is perfect like that, almost as perfect as Kar."

"Of course you would think that you lovesick puppy." They have a laugh, relieved that the tension has dissipated. They sit in comfortable silence, Fluffy is still clutched in the Luthors fingertips, and Maggie continues to massage at their scalp.

"Love you Mags."

"Love you too Lee, so much."