The group erupted in laughter.

Normally, Lori would have thought of a witty comeback for this kind of office banter but today her brain just couldn't work fast enough and so her mouth took the lead. "My Dad just died."

"Oh crap." Katy put her hand to her mouth. "I'm so sorry."

Everyone fell into an awkward silence. Lori knew her declaration wasn't strictly true, he'd actually died a few days prior to the letter being posted, but she wasn't about to clarify that. Instead, she did what she did best, swept the issue under the rug.

"Sheesh, don't worry about it Katy, it's no big deal, I mean, do I look upset?" Lori gave the mortified girl her best don't give a damn face.

"Umm, well no, I guess not." She got back up from the seat she'd stolen and put her hand gently on Lori's back, guiding her into the spot before hastily retreating to the bar.

Lori handed a refilled glass to Sara before addressing those of the group who hadn't sidled away out of embarrassment. "Come on everyone, let's drop it eh?"

"Here here." George chinked his Martini glass against Lori's. "We can talk about the lovely gift of emergency services personnel you sent me instead."

The afternoon faded easily into evening and gradually the bar filled with more and more office workers all eager to wash down the end of their working week with a few overpriced drinks. It was almost seven o'clock before Max showed up. As he regularly did on a Friday, he bought with him flowers for Sara from the little late night corner shop beside the hotel. Even after six years working with them, Lori was still amazed at the incredible relationship her bosses had.

Not only had they been childhood sweethearts, but they remained a couple right through university and started their business together not long after graduating. Relationships that survived under such intensity were far and few between. Lori hadn't even moved under the same roof as her boyfriend before he had buckled under the pressure of it all. The stress of the thought of living with her had driven him straight into the arms of a milk maid.

"Ah, umm Lori, I do hope you're ok?" Max stared at his feet nervously, he didn't do emotions very well. Whenever there was a crisis at work, Sara was sent to manage it. Max was the first to admit that he was the brains behind the business whereas his wife provided the body and soul.

"Of course I am Max, I'm just so sorry for this afternoon; I'll pay for any damage of course." Lori blushed; she hated having to admit that she had messed up.

"Nonsense, I won't hear of it. You have given more of yourself to the job than anyone should ever expect. Besides, Sara has been itching to remodel the office for quite some time; you have merely given her the excuse she was looking for. Now, let me buy you ladies a drink." He thrust the purple and pink daisies at his wife before disappearing into the growing crowds.

Not a big drinker, Lori was already feeling a little light-headed had almost reached her threshold. She needed to stop soon and head home before she tripped over the line between tipsy and drunk. It was a very thin line she didn't like very much, and rarely crossed.

"Missing him already eh?" Lori bumped shoulders with Sara and giggled as she watched her perfectly manicured nails tapping away at a text message.

Leaning away from Lori so she couldn't quite see the screen, Sara half nodded and tucked the phone back in her handbag. "Mmm hmm."

When Max returned a short while later he was carrying two strange looking cocktails. Cautiously he rested them on the table and released a bottle of beer that he'd pressed between his forearm and torso. Sloshing a little on the table he slid the cocktails over.