Chapter 7

Tracey Bell pops up in my emails asking to see me as soon as possible.

In a room behind the reception is a minimal office with a cream colour theme, I play with my phone as I wait for the Head Guide to finish typing on her computer so she can end the obnoxious questions blowing my mind in shred. White sheets of paper with a diagram of Building B's dormitories lie on her desk, with red pen markings under three rectangle boxes of coded numbers.

"As of the following month, these rooms will be available." Her grin is polite and accepting. "Two of them are a twin-bedroom dorm on level one, and the final one is a three-bedroom dorm with an overview of the campus's courtyard, just like your former room. Is there one you like the best?"

I blink at her in surprise. "Um, I might have to think about it."

"Of course. These rooms are not displayed to the public yet, but they will be in a month."

A sigh of relief escapes me. "Okay. A month to decide is plenty."

"Well, it is not that simple," she says, folding her hands on her desk, and the optimism perishes. "I will need you to file a document requesting a room change including the reasons why you are wanting to move. Then you will need to send it through to the Housing and Registration team who will assess your request amongst others and determine if you are successful. If you are, you can choose which dorm suits you best."

My shoulders sag against the chair. "I thought you handle the dormitories."

"Oh, no." Tracey taps the gold pin on her blazer. "My job as a Guide is just that. Think of us as your GPS slash search-box engine. We lead you in the right direction, we will find what it is you are looking for, and the rest is up to you."

"How many applications go through for a dorm room change?"

"Quite a few. I am sure there are students outside campus inquiring for a spot."

The disappointment sinks in deep. "There's no way my application would be successful."

Tracey's grin diminishes into concern. "Are you reconsidering because you might fail?"

I stare at her in silence.

"Let us not forget why you lost your original dorm in the first place. System failures are not common, so I believe the HAR team will see that as reason enough."

"But not against someone who really needs it," I mutter, feeling guilty with the idea of taking someone's chance of a fresh start. "I don't know anymore." 

Tracey clears her throat. "Miss Camella, how about I make you a deal? We will put this on hold for the time being until you are absolutely sure you are ready to move. If you are, send HAR the document request. Let me know soon after and I will make sure they put your request as a priority for overview. I cannot guarantee an available room immediately, but the first one that comes up will be yours.

"In the meantime," she continues, brushing aside the diagram sheet, "Try. Really try to make your living arrangement work. It is true that you are in a better position than most other students would argue. You have a whole place to yourself, your own fridge, bathroom, washing utilities — everyone has to share in the common room. But it might turn out to be something you prefer."

I study Tracey for a second. "Can I ask you something?" I wait for her confirmation. "What's the procedure if, let's say, you're being harassed, or feel unsafe, because of your roommate?"

Her expression darkens in seconds. "Has Noah done something to make you uncomfortable?"

"Oh, no he hasn't!" I grip my phone in both of my hands, trying to form the way I feel into words. "I'm genuinely trying to understand how dormitory placements work. If something were to happen to someone, how fast would it take to change rooms?"