Chapter 12

CAPPING THE LIPGLOSS, GWENN stared at her reflection like it was foreign to her. Her blonde locks were brushed and slicked back, exposing her forehead. Her makeup brought out her big brown eyes and sculpted her round cheeks. Golden earrings matched the dainty necklace hung around her neck. Beige satin draped over her body held up by the thinnest straps. Brown heels covered her feet, slithering up her ankles.

She was far from the Gwenn Davidson that preferred comfy shirts, stretchy jeans, and sneakers. But horror would plague her mother's face if she walked into the gala sporting blue denim.

Right as she submitted her psychology paper for grading, her mother flooded her phone with text messages and incoming calls. Compass—the company her mother worked for—was hosting a gala for their employees. Her mother went on and on about the Vice President of the company retiring, and then begged for Gwenn to attend.

It took her less than two hours to dress up, follow Aura's instruction to do her makeup, and start her trek back to the small town of Hales Bay. Fortunately, the locale stood near the town lines, colliding with Lockfell. By the time she stepped out of her car, a distinctive commotion traveled out from the wide open double doors.

Taking in a deep breath, she stepped inside, allowing the excessive luxury of the gala swallow her whole. A dark carpet rolled down the middle, dividing the room in two halves. Round tables spread through the sides, white and gold draped over them. Flower arrangements served as centerpieces, all surrounded by sets of plates anticipating guests to use them. At the far end, an empty stage awaited a speaker or entertainer in front of a white waterfall backdrop laced with gold. Balloons hung on each side, framing and keeping the balance.

People mingled at every direction, employees of Compass. Waiters crossed the locale with trays full of drinks. Gwenn shook her head at the offer of champagne and walked the carpet to find the culprit for her presence.

She didn't have to look for long before a head of platinum blonde soft waves came into view, nodding ahead to what an unfamiliar man said. A black dress framed her lithe body, tumbling down to her feet. When her mother turned in her direction, her skirt's slit allowed her leg to pop out, showcasing matching high heels that popped against her even skin tone. Her blue eyes widened when they landed on her and she spread her arms to the side, her smile mirroring her actions.

"Darling, you look absolutely marvelous," Meredith greeted, throwing her arms around her. Gwenn felt a rush of bashfulness run through her as her mother continued inspecting. "Tasteful decisions. You look like a pot of gold."

Gwenn smiled, heat rushing into her cheeks. "Thank you."

"Your father went to the restroom after an accidental champagne spill over his shoes," Meredith said, rolling her eyes with a hint of a grin. "But come along now, darling, let me show you around." Her mother twisted away from her, captivating smile present.

The same man her mother was talking to stood by the edge of the table, pretending to play with a wine glass, inspecting it out of mere curiosity. When Meredith shone her piercing blue eyes at him, he lit right back up like a match being ignited. His all black suit meshed well with her mother's dress, almost like a continuation.

"You must be Meredith's pride and joy," the man started, extending a hand over to Gwenn. "We've heard a lot about you, Ms. Davidson. I'm Russell Lawrence."

Gwenn shook his hand with as much vigor as he did. "It's nice to meet you."

"Russell is the one who oversees finances," her mother explained. "An essential man in our company." The smile on her face grew strained, showing most of her bottom teeth. Gwenn hummed in response.