I still dont like Bruno

I laid on the ground for what felt like hours. I couldn't get up and face the family. They would question me and I would crack.

I sniffed in and wiped my face. Then I heard someone walking towards me. No no no no.

I turned onto my side and curled up into a ball. Maybe this would make me invisible.

Someone knelt down and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"You like him don't you?" Isabela said softly.

Out of all the people to go and find me I never expected it to be her, unless she wanted to bed me.

I sat up and scooted away from her, "I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

"Tio Bruno, I can see it in your face," she smiled sweetly.

I looked at her and crossed my arms, "Why are you doing this?" I sobbed, "So you can have blackmail so I'll sleep with you?"

She looked puzzled then realization hit her features, "No, I did those things for Bruno. It's obvious you two have a connection. I just had to get the ball rolling."

She had to be lying.

Isabela continued, "He stood there for minutes watching you play that night and he wasn't gonna say something unless I did," she shrugged, "I'm not even into guys."

I sniffed in and wiped my eyes, "Really?"

"Really, and besides you're way too old for me," she laughed slightly and I did as well.

"Please don't ... tell him. I need to figure this out," I admitted.

"I won't," she reassured.

Isabela managed to sneak me into the house. Everyone was out and working on the festival so I wouldn't be spotted. And she promised to tell everyone I had gotten food poisoning.

She wasn't as bad as I previously thought.

I opened the door to my room and I found .. Bruno? With a ... bucket on his head?

He didn't see me but he heard the door so he hid behind the side of the dresser.

"Bruno-"

"I'm not Bruno!" He shouted.

I sighed and closed the door. I wiped my puffy eyes, "Okay, not-Bruno-" he cut me off once more.

"I'm Hernando!"

"Great," I sighed, "Hernando what are you doing in my room with a bucket over your head?" I asked.

Bruno peaked out from behind the dresser and pulled the bucket off his head.

"You look sad," he whispered.

"Why are you in my room?" I asked as I walked to my bed and began to make it.

"I wanted to- to check up on you. And then you weren't here, and then you came in," he looked down.

I finished making the bed and without thinking I took the sweater off. I tossed it in the bin in the corner and ruffled through my hair. A few sticks fell out but nothing too insane.

I looked at Bruno but he kept looking down. His face was a slight red color.

"Why aren't you with your girlfriend?" I spat with my eyes narrowing.

He furrowed his eyebrows. He didn't understand why I said it with such hate. And I hoped he wouldn't understand it. At all. Ever.

"She went home," he stood and put the bucket on the dresser, "do you not like her?"

"No," I let out a breath and sat at the edge of my bed, "she's perfect. She's lovely. She's gorgeous... and I can't stand her," I leaned back until my head hit the wall lightly.

Bruno watched me and slowly walked from the dresser to my bed. He sat down next to me and looked at me.

I looked over at him, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he said quickly, "I mean-" he stopped himself and took a breath in.

"I forgive you, but she's gonna be around from now on so," his voice got quieter, "get used to it."

I smiled and let out a breathless laugh, "I will."

Bruno leaned back next to me and put his head on my shoulder.

I wanted to tell him off. If you have a girlfriend now why are you doing this? Why are you stringing me along? But I couldn't. Instead I enjoyed it. All of it. Even if it wouldn't last.

"I missed you," I whispered.

Bruno looked at me, "Did you say something?"

I shook my head lightly, "No."

Bruno looked at me, he knew I said something but he just didn't know what.

"Do you want to talk, about earlier? I don't think it was food poisoning." He said with concern.

I sighed, "I ... I'm overwhelmed with working in the town. And with the festival. It got to me," it was a lie if I ever told one.

Bruno looked at the wall in front of us and didn't pry as we sat.

I got up suddenly and shut the window so the only light was the one orange candle.

"I'm going to take a nap, you can stay, if you want," I forced out. As I did so, I mentally hit myself in the head for adding that last part.

Bruno stood as I fixed my blankets and as I laid down on the side closest to the wall. He then shuffled into bed beside me. Although he sat on top of the covers and I laid in them.

"You don't have to stay here," I mumbled.

He looked down, "I want to."