6 | The Cantersing Forest

Jane didn't tell anyone about her encounter with the dragon. After it had left, she was able to fall back asleep. By the time she woke again, the other members of their traveling party were beginning to rouse. She sat on her little makeshift cot and watched them gather their things, mulling over her encounter during the night. If she told them, it may increase their anxiety and cause them to panic. They were already out of their comfort zone. Why add to the stress of the situation?

So, she kept her mouth shut.

The dragon encompassed the entirety of her thoughts for the rest of the day. She found herself looking for the dragon everywhere. In the trees, the undergrowth, and even the canopy. It had been so silent in its approach and departure. How could something so large be so quiet? It scared her to think of what else might have noticed their arrival in the wood that had been following them. Glancing over her shoulder, she did a quick scan of the forest.

Nothing.

That she could see, at least.

Comforted, Jane caught up with the rest of her family and they settled into a quick march. Her father helmed the expedition as the man with the most survival expertise. Using a compass and a rough idea of where the capital sat, he pushed the group toward their destination. No one complained and Jane thought that they were relieved to have someone acting as a leader.

The forest floor dipped and rolled with hills, crevices, and various streams that ran through it. It wasn't overall difficult terrain to maneuver through, but the different variations of elevation were killing Jane's legs. Every so often, they would stop to take a break and admire the beauty that surrounded them. Vines of leafy greens climbed up the sides of the massive trees, budding with small flowers and berries. Moss and lichen grew along fallen limbs, stones, and exposed roots.

Creatures were beginning to show themselves more often now as well. Rock squirrels, foxes, and moss cats. Tobias had tried to catch one of the moss kittens, but the little thing had scampered away underneath a rock. Tobias didn't dare reach his hand under the rock to try and grab it.

He hurried back to his sister, pouting. "It would've been a cute pet."

Chuckling, she slung her arm around his shoulders. "You know moss cats like to be around water. You'd have to make sure you constantly had a bowlful so it could soak. It would be a lot of work, Toby."

"But it was so cute," he whined and hung his head. He kicked at a pebble in his way. It careened off the path and disappeared into the dead foliage. "Maybe there's something else out here I can grab. Do you think Momma and Poppa would let me keep a pet?"

Shooting a glance in the direction of their parents, Jane pursed her lips. There was a fair chance they would. "You'd have to make sure it was something that wouldn't be too big. Smaller creatures are always easier to bargain for."

Tobias grinned at her. "Will you help me?"

"Hah! Help you get a pet or convince them you should be able to keep whatever gremlin you catch?"

"...both?"

Rolling her eyes, she puffed out a breath. "Sure. I'll help you." With a triumphant cackle, he raced off ahead of the group, no doubt to find some unfortunate creature. She cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, "You'll owe me one!"

Jane laughed softly to herself, hands resting on the straps of her pack. After the first initial fear of the forest, it wasn't as terrifying now as it had been. Maybe it was because of her encounter, but she felt more at home here.

...did the ground just vibrate?

Her forehead creased as she looked down. It had been just the faintest feeling of the ground shaking beneath her. Glancing up, no one else seemed to be paying any attention to it. Okay, so maybe it was just her imagination. Maybe a rock had gotten under her shoe.