A Distant Call Part 1

My name is Tom Davis, I have no idea why I am here. 

I work at Latham and Collins, we are an advertising agency, in the ever changing market we somehow managed to survive. I am an Ad Exec, which means I handle the clients trying to sell you something that you don't really want, but can't live without as my girlfriend Mary Richards,  puts it's so well (she is a nurse at one of the major hospitals). We met after I had my heart attack, nothing too serious. They told me no damage, but still I was ordered to lose about 200 pounds. If it seems a bit excessive,  But I weigh roughly 448 pounds. 

This is the first time in my life I have been glad to be fat.

To what happened was this, I had just ordered my admittedly unhealthy lunch on the phone. When all of a sudden I heard this ungodly sound of shattering glass. It sounded like every window in the entire city was shattering. So I ran from my office to see what was happening, only to find all my co workers frozen like statues. 

But still, that sound grew louder. 

I made my way downstairs to the street and found more of the same, I began to panic.

The sound grew so loud that I thought my head was going to explode.

I don't know if I passed out, as I am totally sure what happened next.

It seems I was transported to a tunnel.

The only light I could see at either end.

On one end lead to a desert so vast. It looked like it covered an entire planet. On the other end was a nearly destroyed city built into a huge crater miles across. Above, I can see what remains of a vast skylight. Patrolled by something out of a nightmare. Rats almost as tall as me, each was around 5' 8 or 5' 9, which were walk upright, I think they call that anthropomorphic. I quickly discovered they were cannibalistic, I saw one take another on and before I knew. One was feasting upon the other, before being joined by others of its kind. 

It was there as I went back outside to figure out what to do. I found what looked like to me as one of those MP3 recorders. Someone must have left, hoping that I leave a record of my time here.

I am totally unsure where I am, given what I have seen. I think it's a good guess I am on another planet. It's hot, but it's dry heat. I really don't know what to do, I just know I have to be careful of those things, or I'll be torn apart.

Call it a matter of some assumptions. 

#1 Someone wanted me to be here for some reason 

#2 I need to figure out how to survive. Basic things such as food and water are a must. 

#3 I need someplace cool like a cave. I can't let myself get overheated. 

Lastly #4 I need to be rescued, hopefully by those who wanted me here. 

He then started to cry as he felt totally helpless.

Once he was able to regain his composure, he then took his jacket off and laid it on the ground near the entrance, hoping this would get someone's attention.

Before heading back through the tunnel to a city that has long since been destroyed.

The buildings he discovered were not glass and steel. They were made up of a off white material that felt like stone, and was seamless.

He knew some advanced civilization made this, but what happened?

Most of the buildings were 3 to 4 stories tall with stairs. But there were some in the distance that were over 30 stories. The only thing Tom hoped that they have an elevator. Which he knew was ridicious but so was his situation.

Then he nose caught whiff of something musky. He then ducked into one of the buildings and just managed to hide under the stairs.

From what he heard, it was one of those creatures were looking for something. He hoped it wasn't him.

After it had walked away, he discovered 2 things. 

#1 he could tell when they were coming by their scent.

 #2 Thankfully, they did not have the ability to track anyone. Those 2 things clearly gave him an advantage. 

He managed to make it to the 3rd floor of one of those buildings  to keep an eye on those creatures.

To him it looked as if they were walking the streets at random. 

For a moment, he saw one of them head directly for the creator wall, that got him wondering. So he decided to follow. As he made his way down, he ran directly into one of those creatures, who was ready to take a bite out of him. Luckily, there was a large hunk of stone wall nearby, which he picked up and slammed it against that beast. Which suddenly fell through an opening in the wall right onto the ground dead.

The noise drove others of it's kind to its location. While he had to wait until the body was gone.

They left nothing.

But still he knew the general direction that one was heading.

Which after ducking more than a few of these things leads to a cave. 

Just as one of those things were exiting, despite his size, he managed to hide behind part of a wall. Thankfully he wasn't spotted.

This lead him to a cave.

The cave was dark, at least its entrance, which lead to what looked like a dimly lit room lined with black granite. Near the wall was a pond filled with hopefully fresh water. All around its edge grew this vine with almost black leaves, and just below the surface was large tubers growing from just one of many vines, which apparently those creatures loved. There remains scattered throughout this room. He was thirsty by now and got his fill just before one of those creatures entered, having no choice he drove right in. 

Turns out just below the surface was a large enough passage he could get through, which then lead to this room, just as the one before, it had some light. Once he surfaced and got on to the platform he found. Was cool and refreshingly comfortable. There was even a nearby room where he could sleep.

Now, looking over his situation he has his water, now only if he knew the tubers weren't going to kill him.

It was as he sat there trying to figure out his next move. That was when he noticed the knife. It had an oddly shaped blade but was razor sharp. He then noticed these indentations in the platform itself. There were 6 in total, each with their own unique shape. Interestingly enough, he recognized one of them as being something he saw at the desert entrance to the cave.

Taking possibly the biggest gamble of his life, he went to get it.

Only running into one of those creatures drinking as he tried to surface. Who knew they didn't like getting splashed, that thing turned tail and ran.

A short time later, he returned with what he could only think of as a key. Placed it where it fit and waited.

Almost instantly a bright light appeared in the center of the room before turning into this figure of a red anthropomorphic wolf sitting with its left arm resting on a bent knee.

The wolf was scratching the back of his head with his left hand, "My name and where I am from doesn't really matter. I only created these recording to help you. Don't expect me to help rescue you. I have no idea how much time has passed between us.

First of all, tubers are safe for a human to eat, I also know you are from Earth. Beyond that, I can't explain. Those tubers will help you survive. They will provide most of what you need. Just don't contaminate your water supply.

The reason for the knife is simple, those tubers can be hard to break into. Also, if you ever decide you need some meat, and yes, I am talking about those creatures in the city. I don't recommend eating them raw. They taste horrible. I left you something  we call a 'Burner'. All you need to do is touch the red spot, and it will turn on, I also left you metal rods to cook with.

You probably already noticed there are spaces for 5 other keys. Those keys will give you tricks and tips on how to survive and possible rescue. The other keys are scattered throughout this city, so happy exploring".

Those last 2 words made Tom wanting to punch that wolf in the mouth.