22. Behind Closed Doors

Start from the beginning

By the way her voice wavered uncertainly at "creatures," Jace could tell: Grayson knew little, if anything, about the irae. It was both disconcerting— Jace had rarely been in a position of having more information than her handler about something so important— and a relief: it meant her own intel would be valuable to Grayson.

She wanted to think it was only about getting Grayson as much information as possible so she could protect the City from the irae, but a small, guilty part of her also glowed at the thought of getting Grayson's approval.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," Tristan said, clearly struggling to keep his voice steady. It was much quieter than usual, barely a whisper. "I was evacuating citizens."

"I see. So you knew about this attack." 

Though not much changed in Grayson's expression, her voice was flat and stony, her hands perfectly still. Danger bells rang in Jace's ears.

"He didn't know," she blurted. "I asked him to evacuate people. Because of the new information I've collected, I knew there might be an attack. I wanted to tell you but I was late for the duel. I asked Tristan to help me— I didn't tell him why."

Grayson's gaze turned to Nia, who bit her lip and nodded. "She's telling the truth."

"Very well," said Grayson. 

Outside their metal room, there was a loud, resounding crash. Screams wailed in the far distance. The room shook, just slightly, the door rattling in its frame. Tristan squeezed his arms over his head as if trying to block out the entire world.

Grayson merely raised her eyes to the ceiling, waited for the noise to be over as if it was a small inconvenience, and then continued speaking. "I expected better from all of you. Especially you, Tristan." Her gaze lingered on him, her lip curling slightly. "I will deal with all of you later."

"Wait," Jace called out. "I have information about this attack— I think you'll want to hear it!"

"Yes, I think I will," she said with narrowed eyes. "Follow me. Nia, try to follow this attack to its source. And Tristan, stay here."

"Wait," he rasped. He held out a cupped hand. "Please." 

She stared down at him for one moment, then gave a single, sharp shake of her head. "No, I don't think so. You will get your dose when I return to question you in a couple hours."

"Please."

Jace cringed back. She hated seeing him like this: the usually calm, guarded man full of humor, reduced to pleading and whimpering. It felt like she was seeing something she shouldn't, intruding on a private moment. He would hate her seeing him like this. But at the moment, he didn't even seem to realize she was there.

Grayson merely tsked and turned on her heel, beckoning for Jace to follow. Nia gave Jace a single look, filled with meaning that was lost on Jace, then briefly squeezed Tristan's shoulder and sped out of the room in a colorful flash. 

"Can't you help him?" Jace asked, lingering in the room, not wanting to leave Tristan behind. He had fallen to the floor and was clutching his head in his hands, tearing out hair, muttering under his breath.

Grayson didn't look back. "I will. Later."

She clearly expected Jace to follow after her without delay, and Jace didn't know what else to do. "I'm sorry," she whispered to Tristan. He didn't seem to hear her, but then with his super-senses in overdrive he probably had, and adding to the sounds probably hurt him more. Feeling completely helpless, Jace quickened her step to catch up with Grayson's powerful strides. The door slammed shut behind them.