[🔍] - On-The-Spot Detective (2)

thinking about making this a book, feeling it n not feeling it all at once. plus who has the time to make a book cover? 🤨

...

With a deep inhale, you struggled to open your eyes as the bright sunshine blinded you.

It seemed that you had slept the remainder of yesterday through.

Sitting up and looking around, everything in your possession was still in place. Having a good crack out of your back, you decided to get the day started. Since you slept past dinner, your stomach grumbled as you got off your bed. You took your phone off the ground, and expected the screen to light up - but it didn't.

"Batteries don't last forever." You mocked at your responsibility to charge your phone. You stuffed your phone in your pocket and continued to the door.

The trash in the hallway was almost gone with small remnants laying about. Two large boxes and a suitcase sat to the right of your door. You scratched the back of your head at the assumed fact that Amelia was the one who brought your stuff up and cleaned up the hall.

"Oddball." You shrugged.

You settled for your suitcase as it had your clothes among other things. And importantly your charger.

You fiddled the zipper to access your wall charger and plugged it into the wall to charge your phone. You laid the suitcase down and unzipped it again to look for your shower towel.

It wasn't there.

Your head hung low in disappointment.

"Maybe Amelia has a spare one." You shrugged.

You stood up, stretched, and yawned as you walked back to the door. Turning to the left of the door to get into the hallway, you heard two voices. One voice belonged to Amelia, while the other was a faint female voice.

"You found a new roommate?" The voice spoke. "What are they like? Are they cute?"

You froze, hoping that the next few words wouldn't lead to you getting caught eavesdropping.

"Quick to jump to that, huh, Kiara." Amelia scoffed.

"They're probably one of the few to meet you, hell, live with you." The feminine voice giggled. "C'mon, tell me what you think?"

"It's only been a day. Hold off for a bit." Amelia trailed off. "I've been trying to get my hands on one of the few games releasing this season."

"Video games again? Amelia, as a good friend of yours, I highly recommend you go out and get some sunlight once in a while."

"Is the sunlight coming through my curtains not good enough?"

"Oh, you mean the ones that barely let any light in?" The voice groaned. "Maybe I ought to tell this roommate of yours to run a very important errand."

"That won't be necessary," Sounds of multiple footsteps shuffled as one tried to head up the stairs.

"Kiara, hold on!" Amelia called.

Frightened, you made the split-second decision to stealthily return to your room. But the floor, being ill-maintained, it made a loud creaking sound. As the footsteps on the stairwell stopped, so did you. You held your breath abruptly as a reaction to hide your presence.

"Oh, someone is up here." The voice seemed intrigued and slowly continued up the stairs.

"Kiara, come back down here. You're just hearing things."

"You're telling a cop that?" The footsteps quickened up the stairs. "Aha!"

You turned around slowly, hands in the air.