Home

It's been a few days since our video was aired. Several people have contacted Solara for me, but none of them were a good match with me. Sometimes we didn't align, sometimes there was no spark, sometimes they liked only one side and not the other.
But today, we received a special email. It wasn't even an email, it was a letter. Solara opened the mailbox and came running in with the anvelope

"Open it then!"
"Okay okay!!" I open the letter. I gently untie the gorgeous pearl-colored ribbon around the envelope and open it. It reveals a beautiful card, the front was decorated and drawn on by a child. It depicts me, moon, a child, two parents and a baby.
I look at Solara. She nudges me to open the card up.
I take a deep breath and open the card. I decide not to read it out loud, to take it in fully.
'Dear Sun and Moon, my name is Quin and I'm now 11 years old. I now live with my two moms and my baby sister, Astrid. The last time I saw you, I told you I was going to move, and I did. You gifted me plushies and some candy, and those plushies have become my best friends. My moms showed me the video on tv and I remembered all the memories I made with you. I've always felt very loved and safe when I was with you, and the moment we heard you were looking for a new home, I asked my moms if you could live with us. They thought it was a good idea. So I am sending you this card, with a drawing I made in the front. I wanted to ask if you would like to move in with us, and this felt most appropriate. Please respond as soon as you can. Big hugs from Quin, Astrid, and our moms.'
I sniff and look at Solara.
"I know this kid." I wipe some tears off.
"Is something wrong?"
"Not at all, I know this kid has a pure heart. I met him before. The most gentle kid ever."
"Ah, there's a phone number in the envelope and an adress, would you like me to contact them for you?"
I choke on my words and I nod yes. I know this will be the perfect match.

The next day we get ready to meet the family. I have packed most of my stuff already, in case I can immediately move into the home. I've thanked all of Solara's family members and gifted each of them something I crafted.
For Solara, though she doesn't know yet, I left a Sun and Moon plush for them on her bed, hidden behind some pillows. I think they'll enjoy those.
As we left in the van, onto the hour-long drive, I mainly looked at the outside. The trees passing by, the houses, the people. Even in the very far distance, I saw glimpses of the PizzaPlex. Hollow and burned to its bones. Similar to how I felt that day.
Solara distracted me with music and sharp turns often though, to keep my mind off things.
I had informed Moon prior to the move, and he agreed to meet Quin and his family.
The landscape quickly changes from dried trees and large fields to beautiful parks and floral areas, houses overgrown and colorful. I look around more. The people look very friendly here. This area was known to have a lot of neighborhood activities, like barbecues and markets. I enjoy how lively it is.
Then the car stops.
"Here we are. I'll head up to the door first, I'll signal to you when you can get out with a thumbs up. Wait here until then."
Solara steps out of the vehicle and walks up to the teal wooden door. I anxiously watch as it opens and a lovely lady reveals herself. She's holding a baby, I assume it is Astrid. The lady nods, and Solara gives a thumbs up. I take a deep breath and open the car, then step out.

"Welcome Sun! Thank you for coming!"
I walk up to the door and crouch down to eyeheight.
"Thank you for having me and thank you for contacting me, I loved the beautiful card!"
I hear rapid footsteps coming down the stairs and a head pops out from besides the mother.
"Ah Quin! Is that you?"
And before I get a verbal answer, the boy has already wrapped his arms around me. I hear him sniffing and I stroke his back.
"He's been waiting to see you again ever since he got here."
I look up at the mother. "Really?"
"Yeah, he was in a foster family the last time he visited you, and that would be his last day with them. We then took him in and adopted him, he's a lovely big brother to Astrid."
I smile.
"I hope I don't scare Astrid too much, if so I can ask Solara to change my facemold."
"Astrid will be okay, she's almost 2 now. She knows who you are and adores you!"
I snicker.
"But come in! You, me and my wife would love to get to know you better! We've heard such lovely things from Quin!"

That afternoon I had a lovely time. I played with Quin and Astrid, I spoke about houserules and similar things with the parents, and I learned a lot about the family. Solara spoke to the parents when I played in the backyard. At the end of the day, we had to come to an agreement. I put the kids to their toys in the living room and seated myself back at the table.
Solara looks at me, quite hopefully.
"Alright Sun, we spoke to Solara about several things, mainly technical ones but also other important things."
I nod.
"And we have made a proposal."
I get excited, but don't let it show.
"We think you'd make a lovely fit in our household! And we'd love to have you become part of the family. Then, at the end of each month, we have Solara do checkups on you and fix anything that needs fixing."
"Alrighty!"
"Then of course, you can help us with the kids, but we'd also just treat you like you're a big sibling to them as well. You'll get your own room. Then whenever we need help, you can help us! And whenever you go out, you can play with the other kids as well!"
"This is music to my ears, thank you all." I smile a big smile. I feel Solara put their hand on my arm. I look at her.
"Hm?"
Their eyes are watery but there is a smile on her face. I smile and put an arm around her.
"Thank you for finding me a new home. And thank you for being such an amazing caregiver and mech, Solara."
They sniff and giggle. And then she hugs me. I hug back of course, with my heat sensors on to make it extra comfortable. Quin's parents smile.
"Solara, I'll be sure to keep contact with you, okay? You're my best friend after all."
Solara nods and smiles. I gently pat their head.
"Well then, welcome to the family Sun!"