The beginning of the end

"Hey Music Man?"
The giant looks down.
"What's up, Roxy?"
"Why did they make you a giant spider?"
Taken aback by this question, the DJ lets out a chuckle. He scratches the back of his head.
"I don't think I have an answer to that, I think it's so I can do a lot whilst working but other than that, I have no clue. Neither do I know why I had to be ginormous." He laughs.
Roxy raises an eyebrow.
"Rox, leave him alone."
"Have you never wondered—"
"Yes I have but now is not the time!"
"Calm down, gator. We have to wait for a moment to escape regardless. I can't wait to leave so I'm trying to waste my time."
My friends continue to argue, as Music Man looks more and more uncomfortable by the continuously rising volume.
I sigh. I look at Chica. She's playing with something. I try to identify what it is.
"Chica? What's that?" I walk over to her. She looks up at me and signs 'cupcake'.
I take a look at the item and it is indeed a cupcake. I recognize it from the display cases.
"How'd you get your hands on that?"
She signs that she saw it was out of its container. She thought it looked cute and reminded her of the other Chicas before her.
I smile. "It is indeed quite cute."
She looks at me. 'Can I keep this?' she signs.
I nod. "Sure. Take whatever you wish. I don't think anyone really cares, they might just put up a replacement. So see it as your own."
Her eyes smile. I pat the head of the pink cupcake and look around again.
Montgomery is attempting to stand, Music Man keeps him from falling over. Roxanne is playing with her hair. Everyone is anxious. The tension could be cut with a knife.
"Would you guys mind if I went to my Daycare and picked up some stuff? I have some things I'd rather not leave behind."
All of my friends give me the OK, so I make my way over.

I close the doors behind me and sigh. I can feel my voice is breaking, so I refuse to speak for the time I have left here. I take my time to clean and admire all of the Daycare before we leave. I guess cleaning is useless since I most likely won't get back here, but I want to do it for my own peace of mind.
I put away some more glitter bottles, paint jars, pencils, all the crafting stuff. I organise all the toys and make my way through the playground to ensure the generators cannot turn off anymore. I secure the switches with drops of superglue. Now Moon can't do anything.
I sigh.
In my mind, all the lovely memories I've made flash by. Where I've helped kids, I played with them, I entertained them. I start crying again, but I don't bother cleaning off my face. I let the gold goop run down my cheeks.
I have made so many kids happy and feel safe. So many children consider me their friend.
So many of them have promised to come back to see me the moment they can.
There even were some children who wished I could live with them because of how much joy I've brought them.
I'm proud of what I do, and soon I don't get to do it again. We have to leave, and if nothing happens to the PizzaPlex I'll just get replaced.
That makes me think of something.
For the past few hours, I haven't seen a sign of Miss Vanessa. I wonder if she's okay.
Maybe she found the kid?
Maybe she encountered the rabbit?
Maybe she—
Let's not assume such horrid things, for my own sanity. I'm going to set my mind go her being alive. She has to be, right? I mean, it's Miss Vanessa after all. She's a strong woman, I know she can find her way out.
I look around one more time, hoping to maybe spot a glimpse of her.
Nothing.
I convince myself not to think the worst.

I make my way up to my room. I take my time with it too, I don't feel ready to leave everything behind. I don't want to leave this place filled with memories. I feel some sort of restraint, like I'm chained to this place. I will forever belong here. I groan, sniffle, and I close my curtains behind me. I let out a sigh and I look up. I feel like my nonexistent throat is swelling up.
My art wall.
My wall full of masterpieces.
My personal gallery.
Each drawing made by a different child, a different soul, with a different view and experience of the world.
I've memorized who made which.
Each of these is magical.
Special.
Each time I was given one, I put it up here with some putty, so I wouldn't damage it.
"My precious..." I can't finish my sentence. I'm choking on my words and my voice breaks.
I cover my face and begin to sob.
This feels like pure agony.
Like I'm being robbed.
I can't leave the art behind.
I can't leave these perfect paintings here.
I have to take them all with me.
Otherwise a part of me will forever be lost.
Left behind with them.
I grab a box, frantically begin taking down each drawing and put them in the box. I make sure not to rip or damage any of them. With each drawing, I tell it that I'm grateful for it. It comforts me for some reason. I take the putty used to put them up and form it into one ball. I then stick that ball to the wall.
Once all of them are in the box, I begin putting my belongings in as well. Plushies of me and Moon, my favorite crayons, pillows, moondrops, sundrops and some other things I consider important. I make sure I bring stuff that is important for Moon as well, hoping he will be back to normal when we have left.

Then I smell it.
The smell I hoped I would never smell again.
I immediately stop moving. I tilt my head up and face forward.
I haven't smelled this smell for years, and it keeps growing stronger.
It fills up my room. And it doesn't take long before my vision starts decreasing.
I get up and open the curtains.
My eyes widen.
I witness something I never imagined I would.

The entire Daycare is on fire.

The playground is engulfed in flames.
The balls in the ballpit are melting and popping like popcorn.
As I am trying to process what it happening, my alerts are going off. The smoke is thickening. My vision is red with several warning symboles in it as well.
I remember then.
I have to get back to my friends.
They are in danger.
We have to escape altogether.
I tape the box shut and tie the box to my back with some cables. I then start hastily running for my life.