4 Why Should I Care?

Start from the beginning

I rubbed my face and tried not to groan. This. Was. So. Painfully awkward. It felt like I took advantage of her. Two more minutes and I'd drop her off, call Kevin, and find out what's going on.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I had a great time. I'm sorry it had to end this way."

"Are you sure? Ugh, okay I'm done. No more talking." Her voice became brittle as she cupped her cheeks, shaking her head. "This is why I don't do one night stands...it's so overwhelming! Ugh, no need to respond. I'm just talking to myself."

I had to ask for her number, otherwise she'd feel even more rejected. But then she'd expect me to call. I didn't want to be that asshole. But how was I supposed to promise her anything right now?

I couldn't even smile when I parked by her building. "Do you want to give me your number?"

Her frown deepened. "No...I don't think so?"

"Why not?" It shouldn't have mattered at this point, but it still stung me a little bit.

She shrugged, pulling her lips into her mouth as she looked forward. "What's the point?" She looked back at me. "Do you actually want it?"

How was I supposed to date someone and live with them? That'd be like skipping a thousand steps. Now if we could figure out a way to not live together, then sure. That'd be different.

"I mean, yeah? I meant what I said, I think you're attractive."

"Oh. So you want my number like a collection?" She scoffed. "No, I think I'm good. Thanks."

"Sam⁠—" Oh my God, I didn't mean it like that!

But it was too late. She was already getting out of the car. "It was nice to meet you. I hope you get home safe."

I would've felt better if she slammed the door, but she didn't. Her small form retrieved into the building, then slipped out of sight. I hit my head back on the carseat and groaned. I was going to break this steering wheel! Fucking Kevin!

"Come down," I said when he picked up the phone.

"What?"

"Tell your fiancé you have an emergency and come outside. And don't tell her I'm here."

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" He sounded like he was about to piss himself.

"We'll find out. Hurry up. And grab your shit, you're not staying there tonight."

As if I'd let that doofus walk around with his shlong out with Sam around. Motherfucker took ten minutes to finally come out, and by then I was even more pissed.

"What's up, man?" He slid into the passenger side.

The smell of Stacy's bullshit candy perfume made my intestines twist. I lowered the windows and turned the AC on. Kevin complained about the cold. I said good, let him freeze his balls off.

"So I had an interesting night." I started off.

"Yeah?" He hesitated. "What uh, what happened that was so—"

"Cut the bullshit, man." I glared at him. "Did you tell Stacy's roommate where I worked?"

"What?" He wrinkled his face. "Stacy's roommate? Sam? No? Why would I tell her—"

"Then how do you explain that she ran into me the same night I told you I didn't want her to move in? Did Stacy put you up to this?"

If she did, this guy was too gone for a beating. He needed mental help.

"No, bro! What are you saying? I swear to God, I have clue what you're talking about." He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "Stacy doesn't even know where you work...I don't think she even remembers who you are, honestly."

"Fuck..." I tore through my hair. "How is this possible, then?"

"You met Sam? Seriously?" He chuckled. "Okay, that's...that's kind of like fate though, huh?"

I turned my head slowly with murder in my eyes.

"I mean, she's a nice girl though?" He blinked away. "Probably a better roommate than me? Are you that opposed to her living with you?"

Was I?

"I don't know." I focused on the even stitches around the steering wheel. She definitely was a good girl. Too good, actually. "Doesn't matter. She would never want to live with me."

"Well, she kind of has no choice, remember? She has nowhere to go."

"Dude, this is fucked up! We can't do this. Don't you feel bad? Kevin, you said it yourself. This girl. Has nowhere. To go. How can you let Stacy do this to her?"

Guilt washed over his face, he squirmed in his seat. "I know...I know, okay? I feel bad. I swear."

"Then what are you doing?"

"Look at me, man. Girls like Stacy don't fall for me?" He smiled half-heartedly. This was all his dickhead dad's fault. Why did being rich matter, if you were going to break your own kid? "I'm scared to lose her. I love her. I would gladly pay for Sam's rent, but you know how my dad monitors everything."

"I feel so bad for you." I pinched the bridge of my nose. She was going to milk him dry of his wallet and cheat with every guy in town. "You deserve better, I've told you a thousand times."

"See? This is why I like you, Ashton. You're a good guy. And I think Sam will be so much better off living with you than with Stacy. I know that's messed up to say, but I've seen them together. Stacy can be... pretty cruel sometimes. Especially toward Sam."

Who said I wouldn't be cruel? I've never lived with a girl. Especially someone so sensitive.

"I have enough on my plate."

"You mean Luka? He takes care of himself. Doesn't he make a living off of TikTok?"

"Not the fucking point."

"Well, it's essentially up to you. You're not obligated, of course. I'm sure Sam can figure it out, she's a big girl."

"Yeah, okay. Thanks so much for your fucking help."

"Sorry—"

"If you're sorry, then do something about it. Don't just talk. I don't need your words? Sam doesn't need your words. She needs the bare minimum human decency. Look, I don't care how long we've know each other for, Kevin. I'll never talk to you again if you move in with that bitch."

"Hey, don't call her a bitch? She's my fiancé!"

"Well, I don't care. If you can kick out your roommate without thinking what might happen to her, you're a bitch to me. I don't care what your reason is. You don't do that to someone."

Sam deserved better than to be passed around from one roommate to another. I didn't care so much when she was a stranger, but now? Knowing what kind of a person she was? No fucking way I could sleep until this was settled.

"Tell Stacy to find her a new roommate and until then, stay out of their fucking apartment. Or I promise you, Kevin, you'll regret it."

~ A/N~
Aw. Do we agree with how Ashton responded to Sam?

Reminder to vote if you are enjoying this story <3