𝙱𝚁𝙴𝙰𝙺𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙳𝙰𝚆𝙽 - 𝙿𝙰𝚁𝚃 𝟷

just for tonight, darling

let's get lost

-

breaking dawn

part 1

-

I bit more than I can chew.

Had I known this was going to be incredibly hard, I wouldn't have put the task to myself and just went ahead to my day in a breeze. But no—I just had to move. I just had to stand, decide to do this while drowning in confidence, and then well, made myself wretch twice. Twice.

I was cooking.

Me, a vampire who have no sense of taste whatsoever, enduring the smell of food that both was insufferable and bland. It was the two main requirement of doing it successfully and because I doubt myself—I tried tasting it. Hoping that it could give me just the slightest bit of an idea that it's good, fully knowing I've followed the recipe Emily handed me the other day down to the T, still I didn't know if I could serve it well enough without knowing if it tastes like shit. So, that's why I wretched twice. My stomach flatly said no and I stood here, looking at the food on the table, annoyed and anxious.

Jacob's sister was coming to town. He specifically told me about it last night, the very last minute, and I initially opted to order out food. But I remembered Emily showed me a recipe she's made before and I thought it would be nice to cook something. I thought I was doing this to impress—but I felt it was more to compensate that her brother is dating a dead girl.

"I smell food!" A voice yelled from outside that I didn't even have to open the door. Paul Lahote did it himself, entered without a goddamn shirt on, and almost sat at the table when I glared at him pointedly. "Right. No dirty clothes on the furniture or you'll kick our ass. You know, this is kind of my turf? Shouldn't that give me a home court advantage?"

I rolled my eyes, "Hello to you, too, Paul. Is Jake nearby?" I asked, covering up the food so he'll stop staring at it like a hungry child.

"Sam got him to scout around the west woods. He'll be back in a minute. For now, I should ask why you're selfish? You won't even eat it!" I slapped his hands when he attempted to lift the lid.

"This isn't the den, Lahote. And, well, shut up." He frowned, and then followed a laugh.

"Is this for Rachel?" I shook my head, but we both knew it was unconvincing. "Awe. That's cute. A vampire, cooking!" I glared at him, but then realized that the food still has an unknown taste. And Paul's here, might as well make him useful.

"I need you to taste it." He grinned, looking at me warily that I nodded, letting him sit as he waited for me to serve him up a good bit. Paul looked disappointed at the portion. "It's for Rachel. I can't have her eating bits just because you munched it off on your own!" He started to grab a spoonful of it and I was having a nervous breakdown. I did follow the recipe. Made sure every bit of measurement was right, every timing was on point, and even lowered the fire to make sure it doesn't burn while I stress over what I was going to do next. Usually, Esme does all the cooking whenever we get human visitors. She's good at that, she's good at everything else a woman should be. She even did an amazing job designing the house. All those times, I was frequently out and about jumping off cliffs. "So?"