4.20 In Route To The Apocalypse

On a jet zooming through Europe, I leaned on the wall next to the lab entrance and chewed my thumb; flying sucked worse when there was impending doom at your destination

On a jet zooming through Europe, I leaned on the wall next to the lab entrance and chewed my thumb; flying sucked worse when there was impending doom at your destination. My skill set was very limited when it came to set up, I wasn't a tech wizard, and Happy only had one phone so there was not much I could do besides wait. Our plan was already getting into motion and Peter was setting up both our suits.

Eyeing Happy for a moment, I approached him, hearing Flash's dad joke through his speaker. A chuckle left his mouth and he quickly covered it as I sat down next to him on the co-pilot chair.

"They're still not in London, yet." He said and I nodded, crossing my legs underneath me.

Picking at my nails, I focused on the carpet floors. "How is she?"

"How is who?" Happy asked and I looked up, then tilted my head at his phone. After a second he finally picked up what I meant. "She's good. Growing real fast." He scrolled through his phone and pulled up a picture of the young girl. She had his mom's face, but her dad's eyes.

A pang of jealousy ran through me and I was certain I was a horrible person. I had seen her at the funeral, clutching Pepper Potts's hand, and for some reason, I felt betrayed by her very existence. That Tony had had a family; that he moved on.

"What's she like?" I asked, against my better judgment.

"She's smart." He replied. "And sweet, surprisingly. I wasn't expecting that from Tony."

I chuckled, then swallowed. "She's still living Upstate?"

"Yeah, Pepper's thinking about moving them to Maine, though." Happy said, turning off his phone. "She's not really going to do it, she loves New York too much."

"Maine might be nice, less people, less memories. Houses are probably cheaper, too."

"Bad memories don't erase the good ones." He reasoned and I tucked my knees under my chin. "Tony proposed to her there, they built a house together, raised a kid. She's not going to give that up." I didn't say anything then he awkwardly cleared his throat. "Tony hated you when you first met."

"So did my parents apparently."

Ignoring my comment, he continued. "He thought you were all the worst qualities of his friends, you had Steve's stubbornness, Natasha's deception, but after the thing in Berlin and what you did for Peter with Toomes." With a meaningful nod, he added, "Peter wasn't the only one he cared about."

I stared at him, trying to decipher if I believed him or not. The room felt hot and exposed suddenly, and I sat up. "Speaking of Peter, I should probably go check up on him."

His lips pressed together disappointedly and I ignored it.

At the back of the plane, Peter moved his hands through the holograms. The beginning of my suit was forming on the machine, it was black as usual with some upgrades. His brows were pinched in concentration and I wondered what it would be like to be smart. "How's it going?"