4.09 Sleep With One Eye Open

"How long does it take to return a phone call? I was in the middle of trying to get a good casket for you, which with our budget your odds of going in raw are very high

"How long does it take to return a phone call? I was in the middle of trying to get a good casket for you, which with our budget your odds of going in raw are very high." For the better half of an hour, Alex has chewed me out for not responding to his text earlier which lasted longer than the check-up on my well-being.

"I was in the shower, dumb-ass," I repeated for what felt like the millionth time.

Hair in the awkward mid-point of stringy and frizzy, I donned a grey tank top that covered all the damage on my waist and the odd vein pattered mark on my ribs, but left my scarred arms exposed and it took every in me to not flip off Keith when in discretely stared went from staring at my chest to the white line dipping into my bicep.

Arms crossed, I leaned on the wall next to my shared room's door. "Also, you know I want to be cremated, so you can carry around places, dick-wad."

"Fine, but I intend to leave you in some questionable places."

"Seems like a future problem, fuck-face."

"These are a lot of pet names."

"Well, asshat, I have been fake nice to most of the fuckers so calling you a dick is really my only outlet."

"People don't respond well to your verbal abuse? Shocking." Sarcasm seeped onto his words and I rolled my eyes. Muffled noise came over the phone and Alex yelled something back in reply. With a sigh, he said. "O's here, I've gotta go."

"Alright." I swallowed and couldn't force the longing off my bones. "Bye, jack-ass."

"Still classy as ever." He said with an audible grin and hung up.

Running my hand through my hair, my mind slipped back into the image of the towering creature stomping over Venice. Questions without answers bubbled and bubbled until I felt like punching a wall.

As I walked out into the hallway ready to join the rest of the class, a sprinkle of water splashed on my face. Face scrunched, I felt a sting on my eyeball and looked at the perpetrator.

"Sorry." Constance squeaked, her short-cut hair lightly tousled from the dog-like head shake. "Did I get you?"

"Little bit." Blinking out the spray, I scanned over her clean frame and noticed a black flower drawn up her collar bone.

Her gaze followed mine and she smiled. "It's the symbol of rebirth, got it after the blip."

"It's fitting," I noted and we met eyes for a moment. This was the longest I've talked to her since I gave her the heads up about her transcripts and the longest ever as Charlie. It was for the best, though. Clearing my throat, I hoped the added scratchiness of my voice was enough to hide it. "I'm gonna head downstairs."

The corner of her mouth curled, she nodded. "Yeah, and I should probably go cover this up before Del or Harrington sees."

Quickly, I passed her and descended onto the first floor.