4.05 Let's Talk About Sex

Sometimes when I wake up, I forget

Sometimes when I wake up, I forget. I forget about the superheroes, assassins, and funerals. I forget I'm scared. It all must have been a dream.

For a moment, I'm normal.

Then reality hits like a train.

Every hospital visit, every cold corpse, every forgotten goodbye... That feeling was worse than the nightmares because at least when I watch the ruin of Thanos' snap and earth breaking before me, I don't think they'll still be there. I don't expect anything, but survival.

I watched over Peter's sleeping form like a creep. His brown hair was in tangles knots around his head and he hogged the blanket closely. Our legs were twisted around each other's because of the lack of leg space the twin bed gave us, but I knew even with the size restriction he had tried his best to give me room. That never lasted long with either of us, though. Peter loved hugs, and apparently, I liked holding things.

It took a couple of months to get used to not having to stay awake the whole night. Of course, I trusted Peter, but it was hard to break old habits.

We didn't do this often, it was just something that happened when we were at the Blip camps. He stayed in a cot on the far side of the building while I remained where the un-unified kids went. It was a complete accident the first time we were talking and I hadn't slept in days with the paranoia that something was gonna happen if I closed my eyes for even a second.

Then he started talking about something sciencey that I couldn't completely follow and I don't even remember how it was only that we both fell asleep practically on top of each other with a ratty blanket May had found.

New apartment, new year, same softly snoring Peter.

Light gently filtered in through the blinds and I know we both overshot how much we were supposed to sleep.

Though it kills me, I know he has to get back home before May worries too much. Barely, above a whisper, I said, "Peter, wake up."

"Five more minutes." He murmured snuggling in deeper which would have been very cute had I not heard footsteps in the house. Zoey, shit.

More aggressively, I began shaking him and causing his eyes to groggily open.

The door flies open and Zoey walks in khaki bottoms and a grape-colored shirt. My eyes widen in horror as I sit up. "Charlie, have you seen my sweater- God- sorry."

She shuts the door firmly causing a few pencils to roll off my nightstand. Peter was now fully awake his face covered in shock. Quickly, we both jumped out of bed and he rushed to grab his suit. I opened the blinds and to see we had overslept all the way till noon and there were now bunches of people on the sidewalk below. "Shit, fuck, shit."

"What?" He asked tripping over his suit.

"There are people out there." Why do people ruin everything?