Chapter 10 ➼︎ White Gloves

Start from the beginning

"I baked some of Mr. Laurences favorite scones. From us" she says with a wink as she hands me a basket of treats.

"The way to a man's heart is his stomach" jokes Hannah.

I laugh. "I have not said yes yet!" I head on over to visit Laurie and his grandfather. When I arrive his grandfather opens the door to greet me.

"Welcome, do come on in" he says sweetly to me.

I come in.
Making sure not to track in fall leaves into the parlor.

"Auntie baked these for our tea" I inform him as I hand him the basket. No way was I going to take credit for something I did not bake myself.

"Noble girl you could have easily claimed these as your baking!" he chuckles. He smiles.

"I am not that type of a lady" I answer.

"I can see why my grandson has taken to you" he remarks as he shows me to his living room. There was tea set up and ready for us. As well as many delightful cookies spread out already!

"Ginger tea? Or peppermint?" he asks me.

"Ginger please" I answer him. I fold my hands into my lap.

"This room is so lovely. Reminds me of my home overseas" I wistfully say. I glance around.

"That is right you lived overseas. I have not been since Laurence came to stay with me. " says his grandfather. "had no reason to since my daughter passed away"

"I am sure you miss her dearly. I miss my parents everyday" I admit to him softly.

"We have that alike don't we my dear?" he asks me.

"Grief is hard to endure. I hope I shall not have to do it for some time" I sigh.

"Agreed!" he adds with a smile.

We sit down and sip our tea. I wondered when Laurie would be joining us.

•✿︎︎•

"My grandson went to town for me. He shall be back soon" mentions his grandfather.

"I see, thank you" I say before I sip the warm tea.

"Is is odd for you to be back home here?" he asks me.

"It is a change. But I love living with the March's. Back home I was so lonely. I had no one but servants tending to me until I came here" I explain to him.

"Very interesting. That happened with my boy as well until he came home here with me" says his grandfather.

"We are a lot a like then" I remark.

He nods then smiles. "Indeed"

"Grandfather they were out of lemons" Laurie says as he comes into the living room.

His eyes light up when he sees that I am there already.

"Fiona hello" he says greeting me.
His cheeks turn a rosy shade of pink as do mine.

"Hello, Theodore" I answer him softly.

"Laurie" he reminds to correct me.

I laugh. "Sorry Laurie"

"I might have lemons for our tea. Let me double check" his grandfather says as he leaves the room.

"I am so happy you came today" Laurie greets me with a handsome smile.

"I am to" I answer shyly.

"So, about what we discussed before....." he begins.

"I did have one lemon left!" his grandfather comes back in the room.