I close my eyes unconsciously, convinced that I'm about to be this dogs meal for the day, but after a second, they re-open staggeringly and suddenly I'm no longer in danger.

I listen as gasps emerge, and I can't help but chuckle in shock. The wolf was kneeling, head down and eyes lowered, a small and whiny sound escaping its throat as it behaved.

Because of me.

"Good boy" Clary mutters sarcastically, her eyes shifting from me to the dog, a small smile across her lips.

"By order of the Clave, Jace Wayland is coming with me" I step back, grabbing Jace's hand. He looks at me, a fond smile across his face and I can't help the warmth in my chest at knowing he's safe. Clary steps cautiously beside me, seeking shelter.

Because these wolves were not happy about that.

"Listen, Jace did not do what you think he did, but you can solve that after." I say, my voice rising, "Right now, the guy that I love is dying and Jace is the only one who can save him"

All eyes snap to me at my words, and I feel my cheeks heat under their scrutiny. Especially Clary, who looks so happy she might start squealing.

"Maia!" Luke roars, his eyes lighting green "I said stand down!". Instantly all the wolves obey, stepping back, though reluctantly.

I nod gratefully to Luke, before the three of us pivot on our heels running back to the portal that Magnus left open. I allow Clary in first, my eyes locking on a smirking Jace.

"The guy you love, huh?" He teases, a goofy grin across his face. I snort, rolling my eyes before practically pushing him through the portal, his laughs echoing in my ears as we pass through.

We enter into the other size, Magnus's sitting room a calm and serene space compared to the chaos outside. My eyes fall immediately upon Alec's slumbering figure on the extended chair, Izzy sat beside him, a sorrowfulness about her.

"Jace" She smiles, standing and coming to hug her brother, one he returns with equal strength and need. I smile, though my heart strains at the scene, my mind wishing for the same kind of relationship with Jace.

Thinking of all the years we missed together as a family.

With bated breath, I stare as Jace approaches Alec's degrading figure, his eyes fogging over as he takes him in. Magnus nods with a sympathetic smile, handing him the stone, which he takes gratefully.

My throat closes and tears sting my eyes as Jace walks over to Alec's side and kneels beside him. My heart is hammering, bile rising up my throat as he exhales shakily, before grabbing Alec's limp hand, the stone tucked between their palms.

He closes his eyes, hopeful, and the stone brightens, iridescent as the Parabatai link reforms. I clutch a hand to my mouth, sobs escaping me as Clary hugs me from behind, her own tears soaking my top.

The light remains and yet, Alec's eyes don't open.

Jace swears, his voice cracking as he opens his eyes to his Parabatai gone. My eyes flicker, tears clouding over them, to Magnus, who merely shakes his head in sadness.

"Cam" Jace calls, his eyes lifting to mine and tears endlessly falling from them. "Come here, sit beside him. Help me" The final words come out in a desperate whisper.

With shaky limbs and an aching heart, I move forward and round the chair before perching myself on its side. My hand instinctively go to Alec, one hand resting on his chest while the other cups his cheeks.

The coldness of his skin terrified me and it takes everything in me to not fall apart right there.

"I'm here Alec, so is Jace. Please wake up" I say, my voice breaking and choking back a sob.