Twenty Nine: Career Ending Injury

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god I feel sick." I said.

I was half tempted to get out of my chair and run down pitch side to try and see what was going on. I noticed Hendo and Robbo simultaneously look in the general direction of where me and the girls were sat. The girls both noticed, and both turned to face me too.

"Fucking hell." I burst into tears. Whatever this was, it was bad. Very bad.

The other players, from both teams, looked absolutely horrified. Trent was being carefully strapped onto the stretcher.

"Go to him (Y/N)." Rebecca said softly.

"I can't. I don't know where he's going." I sniffled.

"By the looks of it, the hospital. If you call his phone then whoever gets his stuff will see you've tried to get in contact and tell you what's going on." Rachel suggested.

I nodded, shuffling through the row to get back into the lounge. I rung Trent's mobile and left a message asking if he was okay, then made the difficult phone call to his family to explain the situation. Trent's mum, Diane, answered on the first ring.

"(Y/N)!" She cried.

"Diane...I have some really bad news..." I was trying not to show in my voice that I was crying.

"We've been watching." I think Diane was trying not to cry too. I'd forgotten that the game was on the TV.

"Did they say anything about what happened?" I asked.

"They reckon it's his back. When he went down he didn't move and his hand was on his lower back. They reckon Mo..." Diane trailed off, not really wanting to finish her sentence.

"What?" I asked in panic.

"They reckon he heard a crack. Because why else would he react like that?" Diane's voice was barely above a whisper when she spoke.

Suddenly, I felt the urge to throw up.

"They think he broke his back?" There was no stopping the tears now.

"It might not be bad. It depends how bad the break is, if it's true that it's broken." Diane said.

"Diane, I'm getting another call and I think it's to do with Trent so I'm gonna go." I told her.

"Yes, answer that. Let me know what they say." Diane requested.

"I will." I ended the call with Diane and quickly answered the call from the unknown number.

"Hello, is that (Y/N)?" The voice on the other end of the line asked.

"Yeah, speaking." I responded.

"Okay great. You're listed as Trent's emergency contact, so we just wanted to let you know that he's picked up quite a serious injury to his back playing in today's game and is on his way to Liverpool Hospital." The voice said.

"Can I come and see him?" I questioned.

"Of course. He might be being seen when you arrive, but you'll definitely be able to see him soon." The person told me.

"Okay cool, thank you." I said, before the line went dead.

"(Y/N)?" I heard from behind me. I spun around to see Rebecca.

"Is he okay?" She asked.

"They think he broke his back." Tears filled my eyes again.

"Holy shit." Rebecca cursed, wrapping me in a hug.

"I have to go be with him at the hospital." I told her.

"You go, I'll fill Rach in. You have to update us, alright?" Rebecca said.