Twenty Seven: Missing A Penalty Shot

This one is rather long

Today was a big day for Liverpool Football Club. The boys would be playing in the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United. Myself and most of the other girlfriends had made the trip down to London to support the boys, and my seat was with Hendo's wife Rebecca and Robbo's fiancé Rachel. We were sat in the lounge chatting, waiting for kick off.

"What d'you reckon then? Will we be in the final?" Rebecca asked.

"Fingers crossed." I responded.

"No matter what happens, win or lose, the lads will try their absolute best." Rachel commented.

"They always do." I smiled.

"Right, c'mon ladies, let's head to our seats." Rebecca said.

The three of us headed outside to our chairs, just as the boys' warmup was ending and they were heading inside. There was only about fifteen minutes left until kick off.

Soon enough, Hendo was leading the team out and the game was starting. It was rather end to end at first. Liverpool had their fair share of chances, but so did United. At half time, the game was still 0-0. Myself, Rebecca and Rachel headed inside.

"Well, that wasn't a bad first half." Rebecca said as we all sat down.

"Trent won't be happy." I sighed.

"Why?" Rachel asked.

"He'll feel like he should've scored that shot he hit that went just wide." I explained.

"He shouldn't feel bad for that. We've had a few near misses. That ball he put into the box for Diogo was amazing, it's a shame he headed it just wide." Rebecca pointed out.

"Yeah, hopefully him and Andy can produce more of those kind of balls in the second half." Rachel said.

"Fingers crossed...god, this is so nervy." I giggled.

"Isn't it? I just hope they come back up happy." Rebecca said.

"Yeah...I know they wanna be in that final so badly. I hope they can do it." Rachel agreed.

It was almost time for the second half to start so we headed back out to our seats. The second half started in similar fashion to the first – it was very end to end. However, the deadlock was broken in the 63rd minute, when Mo Salah scored from Trent's cross to make it 1-0 to Liverpool.

"Trent will be happy now!" I exclaimed.

"I should think so, what a ball in!" Rebecca replied.

After Liverpool scored, United suddenly picked up the pace. They ended up equalising only ten minutes later with a goal from Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Yeah Trent won't be happy anymore." I said.

"I don't think anyone will be." Rachel sighed.

The final fifteen minutes of the game were nervy, with both teams having their fair share of opportunities. However, the final whistle blew, and the game ended 1-1. This meant it would have to go to extra time. Another thirty minutes. I just hoped we could score in that time – the last thing I wanted was a penalty shootout.

"C'mon, c'mon, c'mon." I mumbled, seeing Trent on the wing with the ball. He played in the cross, and Sadio Mane hit the post with his shot.

"Jesus Christ!" Rebecca breathed.

"This is too much." I said.

That attempt was the last thing to happen in the first half of extra time. Liverpool had the best of the opportunities in the second half of added time, however they couldn't capitalise. Bobby, who had come on for Thiago, narrowly missed from another cross from Trent, and Trent himself hit the crossbar with a free kick.