eleven

"Wow." Ashley gazed around her in awe. "This is amazing!"

"It really is." Zack agreed. It was the opening day of the mer exhibit. It was also the day we intended put our escape plan into action. I checked my watch for the hundredth time that day, still a few hours left to go.

"Pretty cool huh?" I winced internally as a spoke the words. Ashley and Zack had come to see the mers on opening day, just like every other person in Florida. The exhibition room had gotten so crowded that we had to call in employees from other areas of the aquarium to help control the crowds of guests. Several news stations had been present upon my arrival that morning and the lines to purchase ticket snaked around the block. Now that I finally had a car to use, it had been almost impossible to find parking. I should've just walked.

"Did you see David yet?" Ashley asked. "He's here with his wife. She's actually-"

"Hold that thought Ash." I said, cutting her off. A woman was waving for my attention so headed over to answer a her question.

"Never mind, I'll tell you later." Ashley shrugged. "You've got work to do. See you later Sirena!"

"Bye guys." I watched as Zack and Ashely disappeared into the crowd, then glanced over to the tank. All of the mers, especially Mariella looked anxious. I noticed Darrien swimming around, occasionally pausing to locate me in the crowd. Each time he did, we would exchange reassuring looks and get back out there.

I answered the woman's question. She replied with a "thank you", and walked away as Lucas came up behind me. "Crazy day huh?" He said taking my hand and spinning me to face him, pulling me closer.

"Lucas," I chided. "We're at work."

"I know but I wanted to ask, what you're doing tonight? This great new restaurant just opened up in the next town over an I think you'd really like it."

"Oh, I'd like to but I've got something going on tonight." I frowned, letting go of his hands. "Can we take a rain check?"

"Of course." He smiled, hiding a look of disappointment. "What about Sunday night?"

"I'll text you. I promise" I said, giving a little wave. I maneuvered around the nearby groups of people, avoiding his downcast gaze.

Suddenly I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder and turned to see Calder standing behind me. He was wearing a white shirt, navy blue shorts and black vans, he looked good in the new clothes.

"You're late."

"Hi to you too." He folded his arms. "Have you see the lines?"

"Ah. Right." I winced. "Sorry. Follow me."

I wove back through the crowd and gave Lucas a quick tap on the shoulder.

"What?" He was visibly annoyed now. Was it because I had said no to the date?

"This gentleman needs some help, I'll be right back."

"Okay."

I paused before walking away. Looking into his dark brown eyes, I considered saying something else to him. I just didn't know what. Lucas turned away as Calder grabbed my wrist.

"I thought this was time sensitive." He raised a brow.

"Uh... yeah it is." I muttered. "Come on."

I lead Calder through the halls of the busy aquarium and into the employee locker room. I unlocked my locker and popped the lock off. I took out my backpack and handed it to Calder, along with my smart watch. In the backpack, I had left a pair of janitor's coveralls and a matching hat, as well as a change of clothes for Darrien.