January isn't our friend

Patrick

After the holidays, we returned to school. Mother Nature wanted to be a raging bitch and throw us into a polar vortex. Because of the plummeting temps, the Dean canceled classes.

We were also starting our new semester, and RJ asked me to continue as his teacher's assistant. I accepted because I enjoyed working with RJ. I could do my job without dealing with advances from a teacher.

We layered up in the house. Even with the heat cranked, the outside temps weren't helping.

I came downstairs to see Rowan sitting on the couch huddled under a blanket and wearing my hoodie. I joined her.

"You look good in my hoodie," I said.

"I hope you don't mind because it's comfy."

"Not at all."

"Scoot over." Romeo joined us on the couch and covered up with the blanket. His teeth were chattering.

"Cold?" I asked him.

"Freezing. Why is Mother Nature being a twat?"

"Because January isn't our friend."

"No shit."

A sharp breeze came from the kitchen, making us shiver. Val and Rafe carried in wood and tossed it into the fireplace.

A few minutes later, Liam and Casper carried in more wood. "Christ, Val. You could have waited for us," Liam said.

"I'm not a dipshit." Val arranged the logs in the fireplace and started a fire.

"God, it's freezing." Hayes walked over to the couch and sat down next to Rowan. He pulled blankets over him.

"Where are the others?" Rowan asked Hayes.

"They're complaining about the cold. I left them to figure it out." Hayes's teeth chattered.

Romeo cuddled me. I glanced at him and arched my brow.

"What?" Romeo asked me.

"Why are you cuddling me?"

"Because you throw off body heat."

"It doesn't mean I want you to dry hump my leg."

"Excuse me. I don't dry hump anything."

"If you say so. You forgot my bedroom was next to yours. Oh, mmm, yeah."

Everyone stopped and looked at me.

"I did not!" Romeo said.

"So why did the lotion keep disappearing?"

"It wasn't from me."

"Uh, huh. Sure." I rolled my eyes.

"Can you both stop talking about beating off? It's disturbing," Val said.

"A guy has needs," Rafe said.

We stopped and stared at Rafe.

"What? Like I'm the only one who has ever done it." Rafe shrugged.

"Yeah, but no guy admits it," Liam said.

The girls came downstairs, which nixed the current conversation. Thank God. I didn't want to discuss taking care of business with my brothers and cousins.

"What's the plan?" Bailey asked.

"How about a game since the weather can't make up its mind?" Sage asked.

"What kind of game?" Rowan asked.

"What about a board game?"

We glanced at each other.