VI - 1

Dear Marion,
Tom's writing this for me, because my hands are still too shaky to hold a pen. But at least I'm able to dictate him the words, I wish I could say to you in person, but Tom has told me that you moved to Norwood, which is quite far away from Peacehaven, or at least for a man who isn't able to get out of bed anymore.

I feel better. I got a new medication. I'm feeling better every day, but honestly, I don't think that the new medication is the reason. I think it's because of Tom. He is now with me almost all the time. He just leaves me to walk the dog or to go shopping. He even stopped going swimming every morning, can you believe that Marion? He really seems to be trying to catch up the time we missed and acts like we're running out of time. And well, we are. Or at least I am. He usually sits on a chair next to my bed and sometimes even on the edge of the bed. He talks to me and when he's running out of words, he reads out to me, like you did, Marion. I'm always trying to stay awake as long as possible, to not miss any of his words, but the new medication makes me very tired.

I enjoyed getting to hear your story. It was different to the stories you used to read out to me. More personal and more real. Tom read your whole manuscript out to me that day and night. He read it out with his lovely voice, sometimes stumbling briefly on a word or sentence. I really hang on his every word, not just because it was the first time, I was allowed to hear his beautiful voice again, also because I was really interested in your story.
I'm not mad at you and I don't blame you for your feelings. I mean how could I? I also fell in love with those blue eyes. I also got seduced by those blonde curls. And I also had a weakness for his wide shoulders and maybe even for that awful uniform. And the forbidden fruits always taste the sweetest, don't they?

But I can't forgive you. But I still want to thank you. I probably should hate you and you should probably hate me, but I guess we both don't. None of us has been someone who likes to follow the rules or norm.

I wish you a good time in Norwood and I really hope you find what you've been looking for in Tom.

Patrick