Chapter 46: River Monster

Start from the beginning

"I want to make a difference in this war." He clasped his hands behind him, shoulders square, and pulled back. Definitely military. "And I believe the only way to do that is with you and Vaella."

Norah hid her smirk. Her voice remained even and firm. "You've done your research."

"I did," he said, glancing around. But there wasn't a heartbeat in sight besides theirs. "And I know that you have been off the grid for quite some time. Almost a year and a half, but I've heard rumors from soldiers of a girl with black hair and 'black magic' fighting on the front."

"You mention being a soldier," she said, weaving around the question. She knew Rhyker would see it. "Which means you've been in small battles, but have you been in larger ones? Entire city battles?"

His expression turned grim. "I have, but I was lucky enough to have a great commander."

Norah cocked a brow. "Oh?"

"The city would have fallen if it wasn't for him." The shadows disappeared from his face, replaced by bright eyes and admiration. "Our communications were down, our people scattered. Most of our army had been captured and were being executed, but a small group of us had managed to escape capture. Our commander found us and made a plan. We managed to save some of our men and retook the city within five days. We would have all been dead if it weren't for him."

Interesting.

"And who was your commander?" she asked coolly. "What would be your opinion if he joined the team? Perhaps to oversee plans or to give guidance?"

Rhyker's eyes sharpened, his nostrils flaring "I would highly recommend it. He has centuries of experience, far more than me, and having him on your team, even just to council you would be a great advantage. And he understands soldiers--he was a soldier. He knows how they think and can train them properly."

"Is he still around?"

"Yes, he was in the council meeting with you," he answered. He saw her question before she could even ask it. "I could never go up and talk to him. I'm just a warrior and to go above my chain of command... It's just too disrespectful."

"Age doesn't earn respect," Norah said, easily hiding her disdain. "It's about what they do to earn it."

Rhyker reared back like he'd been struck. "Holland's amazing," he blurted. "He's earned that respect a hundred times over. It has nothing to do with his age."

Something cold and mischievous curled her lips. "Which one?"

"Bram Holland." There was no hesitation. "He sat next to you in the council meeting."

"Is that who that was?"

Rhyker nodded more aggressively. She pretended to consider the option of adding him to the team. "Interesting. I'll see what I can do. But here's what I need for my team. I need someone experienced who can train them and oversee tasks. A second in command if you will. Of course," she added nonchalantly, "you'll be well compensated."

"How much?"

Norah gave him a number. It was higher than what she'd pay her other teammates, but he would be doing more than them and handling more responsibility.

If he was surprised or disappointed, again he didn't show it.

Norah stared at him, wondering if this was too good to be true. This man knew her background, her mixed abilities, and still he did not seem to hold that against her. Allegedly, he respected her and was willing to take orders from her.

Rhyker had come to her, but he contemplated accepting the offer.

Norah liked him even more.