CHAPTER V: "Is This A Joke?"

╔═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╗CHAPTER V

╔═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╗
CHAPTER V.
“IS THIS A JOKE?”
╚═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╝

WHEN QUEEN ALIXE was woken up the next morning by sunbeams painting her room with a golden light, she immediately had a bad feeling

A weather this beautiful couldn't mean anything good. Good weather was used as a distraction to... well, distract from a tragedy that was about to strike.

In Alixe's case, the tragedy was news about her marriage.

The paintings of the men that she was supposed to choose from still hung on her wall and their eyes followed her every move. In all honesty, Alixe had had problems falling asleep last night because of the unsettling feeling that these paintings stared at her at all times ─ even when she changed.
In the end, their faces made Alixe dislike them even more and she felt guilty for not being able to choose and save her country.

The queen was surprised to see her maid so early in her room. They had to fire some staff because of the financial situation and the Royal Council chose that the import of food was more important than a few maids and therefore, Alixe now only had one maid left.
Which isn't exactly a bad thing. The two have a certain unspoken bond between each other, a certain intimacy, that made them be able to communicate through nothing more but body language.

Still, at not even nine o'clock in the morning, the maid stormed into the queen's bedchambers and announced that the council wanted her to attend a very important meeting about her marriage.

“All right,” was all that Alixe had said and then wordlessly let herself get dressed.
Without a single bite of breakfast, the woman strutted into the meeting hall.

Her stomach grumbled as the guards let her through the gigantic doors, but she didn't let herself get irritated by that.

A friendly “Good morning” came from everyone in the room and Alixe returned it with a smile and a nod.
“Good morning.”