J.B.B. - Hell of a Road Trip

SUMMARY: Why did I agree to carpooling?

WORDS: 514

****

I don't know why I thought it would be a grand idea to offer a ride to my brother when my boyfriend was going to be in the same confined space and they do not get along at all. We were on our way to visit Bucky's sister in Shelbyville and Tony wanted to cut costs on his way to New York and asked to tag along so he could get a train from Indianapolis, because a ticket would be "too much" from Malibu. Never would have thought my brother to be one that was frugal, but he continues to surprise us.

We were on our second day of driving, just getting inside of Illinois, with only three more hours to go when Tony decided to nitpick Bucky's driving.

"You should put your signal on before you switch lanes."

I saw the sideways glare from Bucky to Tony from my seat in the back.

"It's fine," Bucky growled, his grip tightening in the wheel.

"Do you even check your mirrors? You should be able to see the whole front of the other car before changing lanes."

"Tony," I say softly, leaning forward, "you didn't want to drive. So, let Bucky be."

"But he doesn't even--"

"Finish that statement and I'll crash the car Stark." Bucky's knuckles turned white and I rolled my eyes.

And why did I agree to the backseat.

"You promised me that you wouldn't hurt my sister, so crashing the car will hurt her," Tony replied smuggly, earning a death glare from Bucky and an eye roll from me.

"Don't listen to him babe," I whispered to Bucky before falling back into the seat, looking out the window.

"Kind of hard to do that when he's within the car," he sighed, but his grip on the wheel relaxed a little.

The next few minutes went by with not a word, the first moment of peace in the hour when someone merged onto the freeway.

"Barnes! Will you get off his ass!" Tony yelled, a smirk tugging at his lips.

Before I could say anything, we were pulling off to the side of the highway and Bucky threw the car into park before turning to my brother.

"I love your sister, Stark, but you make it very hard to even try to like you. We are only a few miles out of St. Louis. I'll drive you back that way and you can get a ticket from there. Or you can shut up for the next three hours. It's your choice."

I could see a glint in Tony's eyes and he nodded, agreeing to shut up, but he failed to hide the smile as he turned to look out the window. I could tell the next three hours were going to be even more hellish.

"Can you both stop fighting? It's awkward enough being in this car as is," I grumbled, crossing my arms and knowing full well that my brother wasn't going to listen and by his time for the next remark.

Never again am I riding with these two. Never.