J.B.B. & S. R - Sanctuary

Warnings: slight description of abuse, nightmares

Rating: Mature

Words: 1,981

Summary: Reader intrudes on the pair to stay the night without much of an explanation, but has no choice when she wakes them during the night from a nightmare

~*~

"Hey Buck, did you want yours spicy or no?" Steve called from the kitchen to the living room, where Bucky was sitting on the couch playing video games. Steve could hear the volume cease before Bucky called back.

"Sure, but not overly, like you." Then the sound resumed with slight cursing making Steve chuckle as he mixed the crema and spices together. Just as he was about to plate the food, there was frantic knocking at their door, making Steve knitted his brows together before taking large steps towards the front door. From the corner of his eye, he could see that Bucky had stopped the game, a glock in his hand already as he stood waiting for him to open the door. A silhouette could be made through the barely sheer curtain from the glass that trimmed the door frame as Steve leaned over to reach for his shield, stopping when a familiar, a voice called out.

"Steve. Bucky. Please, open up." It was almost panicky sounding, the door knob jiggling with the words.

Steve unlocked the door, shield forgotten, revealing their teammate, Y/N, her hair mussed and eyes red. Despite the warm night she was shivering in her oversized sweatshirt and flannel pants. She didn't wait for Steve to even utter the words to have her come, pushing past him as she waved to Bucky.

"Put that away," she gruffed, her voice sounding deeper than normal, her hand shaking violently.

"Y/N?" Steve never seen her like this, and she had been in some rather grisly scenarios where she walked away like she just did a menial task like laundry or getting the mail.

"I'm fine Steve. I just...I need to sleep her tonight," she whispered, stopping at the stairs, her head hung. "Please."

Steve looked at Bucky, who was wearing the same concerned look that he had.

"Sure," Bucky answered first, "first door on the right."

"I remember," she replied softly as she started to ascend the stairs.

Both men were now at the foot of the staircase, watching her disappear and heard the door close, perplexed by what they witnessed. Bucky turned his wrist, checking the time.

"Think we should at least offer something to eat or drink?" he asked softly, never tearing his gaze away from the top of the stairs.

Steve rested his hand on his lover's lower back and shook his head. "Let her be. You know how she can get when she wants space. C'mon, lets just eat and let her come to us."

"She's not a dog, Steve," Bucky grumbled, not liking that his friend was acting odd and in their spare room. He didn't say much more as he walked towards the kitchen mumbling under his breath, things that Steve couldn't catch.

"What did you say Buck?"

"I said, she's not our girl anymore, either," Bucky grumbled, turning towards Steve, but his eyes were at the stairs. Steve swore he could see a bit of hope in his boyfriend's eyes, as if he was waiting for her to come down.

"I know," Steve sighed, taking Bucky's hand, "but we all agreed to stay friends."

"I'm starting to regret letting her go."

"Me too."

~*~

They had settled in bed later, neither had heard from Y/N since she arrived nor did they want to bother her to see if she was okay. Between the two of them, they would know if there was anything a foul with their heightened senses.