"Good thing mine is to get it. I'll go. Give me 15 minutes and I'll unlock the front door. Media doesn't need to know I'm involved. No one at your agency does either."

".... Be careful" he says after a moment of pause. He really doesn't have a choice but to let me help. I'm probably the only one that could get in right now.

I hang up and take a deep breath, staring at the daunting gap between the buildings. There's a good chance I'll fall between the buildings, but I don't see another quiet way in that would give me a possible vantage on the people on the floor below. It's only a two story place so I'm hoping for a balcony or an overlook inside.

As I back up and start running, I realize how stupid it is, but before I can chicken out, I jump, flailing until I scrape my arms and legs against the building across from me, barely hanging on to get myself over the ledge.

My arm is a mess of blood and skin as I lay on my back, breathing heavily and trying to get my heart to slow down.

"Fuck" I whisper, knowing I could have just fallen to the concrete and snapped my neck. Guess there's no point in dwelling on it now. I'm in a time crunch right now.

On my feet, I get to the rooftop door and pull it open. My quirk must be stronger than the one keeping the others out. I listen for anyone close before stepping through and pulling the door closed behind me so it doesn't slam and potentially alert any of the occupants inside.

I carefully pick my way through the top floor, listening for footsteps that aren't mine and hearing none.

The stairs cause me pause. I can't see around the corner, and halfway down, the side is visible to the room. Voices trickle up to me from the lower floor and I recognize one of them.

"Oi! I told you to stop hitting him! We can't get ourselves out of here if he's dead" Fergus, from the bank job yells at another. It sounds like he also smacks them.

With a very bad idea in my head, I saunter down the stairs like I own them.

"You all are so loud" I glare at them like they're inconveniences. They're all slack jawed, Fergus recovers first.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He's angry, but it's covered by confusion.

"You know. Breaking into places. My specialty" I wave him off as I hit the last step, walking over to Tenya who is chained to a chair, head to his chest. He's breathing and I let go the breath I didn't know I was holding. "Hell of a job you did on his face"

It's swollen and cut in various places. I can't imagine what other injuries have been inflicted while he's been tied up here.

"Do you know him?" Another man asks, stepping closer with a knife in hand. I instinctively put myself between him and Tenya.

"Yeah, he's a friend of mine." I turn to Fergus "but you already knew that."

"Funny that he knew me when you said you would erase his memory" Fergus crosses his arms and raises his eyebrows at me.

"Long story. Anyway. We'll be going now." I reach down to touch his cuffs, but Fergus slaps my hand away.

"Fat chance of that"

Tenya chooses now to wake up and struggle to bring his head upright. "Kagi?"

"Hey, robocop, we'll be on our way in a second" I reply, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"I am not a robot"

"Is that really what you want to focus on right now?"

The man with a knife charges me only for me to kick his knee and send it collapsing the wrong way. He howls in pain on the ground, knife skittering toward me. I pick it up just to have a weapon on me.

"Now I see this as us having two options." I touch my finger to the point of the blade, feigning boredom when really my heart is beating out of my chest and I'm pretty sure if they were to listen closely, they would hear it. "You could walk out that door and let the heroes arrest you or I could take you all down to the ground and the heroes will swarm and then arrest you."

I glance at the clock. I've got eight minutes. That should be enough time. There's only two of them now.

"You're really going to betray your own kind?" Fergus looks at me incredulously.

I let out a short laugh. "There's no honor among thieves"

"Fine. So be it." Fergus and the other charge me, but I throw my knife at the one I don't know, hitting him in the arm and elbowing Fergus in his nose, breaking it with a satisfying crack.

He stumbles away from me, holding his face, blood dripping from behind his hands. "Fuck you" he spits at me.

"You're the one that chose option two" I roll my eyes at him and charge, tackling him around his waist and slamming him onto his back, knocking the wind out of him.

"You'll be ruined after this. No one will hire you" he wheezes at me.

"That's fine." I say, meaning it.

The other man is coming up behind me. I grab him by the knife sticking out of his arm and twist. He howls in pain, reaching for me with his other arm. I slam him onto the ground next to Fergus, and the man passes out. Probably from pain.

I stand over Fergus who glares at me as he continues to wheeze. "You want me to knock you out or do you want to be awake as you're dragged out of here?"

He coughs and I don't wait for him to regain his sense of speech before I hit him hard enough on the head to render him unconscious.

I walk to Tenya, careful not to step on the bodies on the ground.

"You alright?" I ask, scanning him for wrong looking limbs and pooling blood. I find none, but that doesn't mean he's not bleeding internally.

"How are you here?" He asks, eyes looking pained and a little glassed over. That's not a good sign.

I touch the chains on his arms, then his legs, then the ones around his chest. They clatter to the ground, echoing off the walls as he's released. He slumps over. The one around his chest must have been keeping him upright.  I check the time. I've only got a little bit left.

I settle him so he's sitting up on his own as I go over to touch the front door. I hear it unlock and I rush back to him.

"I'm going to slip out the back. The others will be in here in three minutes. All you have to do is wait for them"

He grabs my arm, gripping it with strength I didn't think he had left. "wait"

"You were right, you know. I'm not a hero. I won't ever be one. This is probably the only decent thing I'll do in my life."

"I think about you a lot" that throws me for a loop and I pry his hand off me, setting it back in his lap. He doesn't seem to have any more strength to reach out to me again.

"You should be thinking about your girlfriend" the silence that follows is concerning and part of me worries that he passed out with his eyes open. "I have to go. Heroes are going to bust through that door and I don't have a good explanation for why I would be here."

The only sign of life I see from him is his eyes following me as I slip out the back door and around a few buildings to join the crowd that has gathered. There are already heroes in the building by the time I assimilate with the crowd and Tensei catches my eye.  I nod at him and he lets out a visible sigh of relief and mouths 'thank you' to me.

I go home and get into bed, but sleep evades me. I keep getting my phone out to check headlines to see if there's anything about Tenya in them.

One outlet reports that he's been admitted to the hospital with serious injuries, but also reports that he's going to pull through.

Once several other reputable news stations confirm that, I finally feel at ease enough to fall asleep.

A few days pass and I stay glued to my phone to see if someone will think to update me on Tenya's condition. No one does. I get all my information from the news and know that he's been discharged and is 'resting comfortably at home'.

Early in the morning a week later, Ella calls me.

"Hello?" I answer groggily.

Sniffles come from the other end of the line "y/n? Tenni and I broke up"