glossary

❦SCREAM, NIGHTINGALE, SCREAMglossary

SCREAM, NIGHTINGALE, SCREAM
glossary

because there are so many specific historical references within "scream, nightingale, scream,"
i thought i'd make your reading lives a little easier with this grouping of brisk explanations broken down by chapter and alphabetized for easy application. use it as you see fit.
——————————————————

00: MAP OF UKRAINE
(Volhynia, where the plot takes place, in yellow.)

00: HISTORICAL ACRONYMS

UPA: The Ukrayins'ka Povstans'ka Armiya (Ukrainian Insurgent Army) was the paramilitary force of the Ukrainian nationalist movement from 1942 to 1949. At various times throughout World War II, they fought the Germans, the Soviets, the Polish resistance, and themselves.
NKVD: The Narodnyy Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del (People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) was the Soviet ministry responsible for state security from 1934 to 1946. Agents engaged in the administration of prison and labor camps, extrajudicial executions and deportations, espionage, and mass political repression.
OUN: The Orhanizatsiya Ukrayins'kykh Natsionalistiv (Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists) was the main body that governed the Ukrainian nationalist movement. Its ideology was far-right and ultra-nationalist. Some OUN factions collaborated with Nazi Germany. Some of its combat units (UPA) engaged in ethnic cleansing against the Polish population in the regions of Volhynia and Galicia.

01: HE WHO PROMISES
A LOT GIVES LITTLE

Carpathians: A mountain range in Europe that stretches through present-day Czechia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania, and Serbia.
Galicia: A historical and geographic region spanning what is now southeastern Poland and western Ukraine. Generally considered to be south of Volhynia but north of the Carpathians.
Hola: A Ukrainian card game.Lastivka: Ukrainian for swallow. The bird, not the verb.
Lviv: The largest city in western Ukraine. It changed hands numerous times in the 20th century as it was under Polish, Soviet, German, Soviet, then Ukrainian control. Also known by its Polish name, Lwów. See the map.
Makhorka: A strong, rough-cut tobacco grown in Eastern Europe.
Mosin rifle: A bolt-action rifle that saw widespread use within the Red Army during World War II.
Orlov Trotter: A famous horse breed from Russia developed in the late 1700s by Count Alexei Orlov.
Prima Cigarettes: A brand produced during the German occupation of Ukraine. The cigarettes were then manufactured again in Kyiv starting in 1970 and are still on the market today.
Ukrainian People's Republic: A country in Eastern Europe that existed between 1917 and 1920. It was the largest of the many Ukrainian states that existed during the Ukrainian and Russian Civil Wars. Unified with the Western Ukrainian People's Republic on 22 January, 1919.
Volhynia: A historic region in Central and Eastern Europe located between south-eastern Poland, south-western Belarus, and western Ukraine. See the map.