27. A second chance?

Start from the beginning

"What I'm trying to say is—I've been through this stage before. But this time, it's different. It's like... I miss you more than my body craves for drugs and there hasn't been a single day that I've spent without thinking of you." He lets out a long breath. "Withdrawals are really difficult, Bia and I know you won't believe it but a slightest bit of hope of seeing you again has been encouraging me to stay clean so far.. I really really want it completely out of my system."

I stay silent so he could continue.

"I know we haven't been together for long but I confess-my feelings for you is so strong that I don't want to waste this life abusing myself, not anymore. I want to live, babe. Happy, with you."

My eyes start to well up again.

"Stay with me, baby. I have problems and I know it's just too much to ask, I haven't acted like the way you deserve. But I'll work on it, harder, for you, for us."

"I'll think about it." I finally say.

No I don't need to think about it, I take you back!- But, the pride thing again.

He remains silent for so long that I had to check if the call is already disconnected.

"Okay," He says. "So.. I'll call you?"

"Okay," I reply. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Good night, what a joke. How could you possibly have a "good" night after having such kind of conversation? Its like I've bid farewells to goodnight sleeps on the day I first met Neil. I don't remember having troubles sleeping before that. Emotions are healthy but not to an extent where it starts overwhelming you.

The only one who is going to help me now is Jesus. So, I get on my knees and all I can pray was for Neil to recover and return back, close to me.

"Take him back, B. Everybody deserves a second chance."

"Sia! Why were you listening to our conversation?"

"Should've used headphones or could've just went to the balcony if you needed privacy."

"Well, I thought you were asleep."

She shrugs. "I was trying."

........

"What's wrong?" Penzo's words districts me from the thoughts I've been having regarding the conversation I had with Neil last night.

"Nothing,".

"It looks like your mind is wondering somewhere else." We're returning home from school and are walking instead of joining the twins and Maya in the bus because Penzo had requested me to wait and cheer for him as he practiced for the upcoming interschool basketball championship. "Care to share what's going on in that cute little head?" He asks facing me as he walks backwards.

"Well," I shrug. "I space out at times. It's like a habit."

He raises a brow with a smile still hanging on his face but doesn't push me any further.

"So, do you think we can bring in trophy this time?" He asks.

"I'd really like that to happen."

"What do you think?"

"I don't know."

"Haven't you seen me play?" He puts his hands over his head, acting biwildered.

"Yes, but I haven't seen them play. There might be other players better than you."

"Don't you worry about that. When the boys would be throwing me up in the air, I'll be waving at your direction with the golden trophy in my hand."

"That confident, huh?"