-1- sort out your priorities

Maya turned around and glanced at the empty chair that was behind hers and lightly shook her head. Peter had been making a bad habit of being late to class. She had a feeling he was up to no good as usual, but she wasn't about to start prying in her best friends business.

At least not yet.

"Late again, Mr Parker"

"Yeah, yeah. Uh, sorry. Wont happen again"

Maya was snapped out of her thoughts when Peter's rushed footsteps grew louder as he walked past her and claimed his usual spot behind her.

Maya turned her head towards him and narrowed her eyes, hoping that when she did she'd be able to read his thoughts and know what the boy was up to. He caught her glance and gave the girl an innocent smile before she let out a little giggle and turned around to face the front of the class again, listening intently to their teacher.

The two friends were following the crowd through the halls and out to the courtyard to enjoy their break. Maya spoke up, snapping Peter out of his thoughts.

"So, Mr Parker. You gonna tell me whats keeping you from getting to school on time? Broken alarm clock? That skateboard not moving as quick as it use to? Or are you just not very good at riding it anymore?"

Peter snickered as he sat down at their regular spot, Maya sitting next to him.

"Actually" Peter turned to Maya who was grabbing a book from her tote bag.

"I found an old briefcase. It was my dads. Been a few late nights trying to gather any sort of clues about him as I can"

She put the book down, finding Peter's statement far more interesting than any science homework.

"Turns out he worked with Dr Curt Connors. He works at Oscorp"

Peter ran a hand through his hair. After all these years wondering, finally learning at least something about his father was more of a stress than a relief. He'd been wondering if he preferred the almost innocence that came with not knowing. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

"You have that internship there right? You know Dr Connors, right? Do you think you could do some digging around for me? See if you could find anything out about my father? I mean you could even ask Dr Connors, obviously you would have to be discrete-"

"Peter I'm not risking my internship to sneak around the place. Its the only thing I've got going for me right now, I cant just possibly throw that away. I'm sorry, Pete"

He lowered his gaze and shook his head.

"Yeah, no. You're right. I'm sorry, it was a dumb idea" He met her eyes again and gave her a weak smile.

"We'll figure out another way, okay?"

She gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder and shot him a warm smile. Her hand lingering on his shoulder long enough for Peter's gaze to trail down to her forearm. 

"Woah" Peter gasped as he grabbed a hold of her arm, so delicately as if it was to shatter if he grabbed it too hard.

"What happened?"

Maya removed her arm from Peters grasp and quickly studied the bruise that lay so intimidatingly on her arm, before pulling her jumper sleeve back over it. Though it did nothing to dull the pain of the injury, it was like it was screaming at her, always reminding her of its presence. 

"Oh yeah. Just tripped down the last couple of stairs at home when I was half asleep. You know me, super clumsy" She chucked awkwardly, looking around, suddenly far more interested in the students walking along the grounds of the school than meeting Peters concerned gaze. 

Peter couldn't help but soften his expression as he looked into her eyes. The way the sun shone onto her face gave her hazel eyes an almost golden glow. The light breeze that danced through the air caught her light brown hair in its path and pushed it away from her face, giving him a better look. Even when she wasn't looking at him, those eyes of hers felt like he was put under a trance that either he couldn't escape or didn't want to.

"Hey. Aunt May is making meatloaf tonight if you wanna come around. Both her and Uncle Ben  have been pestering me about you. Apparently they miss you swinging by for dinner every couple of days or something. i don't know why, you're kinda annoying"

Maya shot her head back towards Peter and elbowed his side.

"Ow!"

"Oh please, you love my company. But i'm busy tonight. Can you please let them know that I'm still on for movie night this Saturday though?"

"Can do"

As the bell rang out, Maya grabbed her bag and pushed herself off the bench. She turned around to look at Peter who hadn't made an attempt to get up.

"You coming?"

"Yeah, soon. I just need like another minute"

Maya shook her head and started walking in the direction of her next class.

"I don't know what you're up to. But you need to sort out your priorities, Peter Parker"

Peter chuckled and leaned back into the bench. 

He had to find a way into Oscorp.