-12- trouble

Maya stood with the rest of the school outside, trying to catch a glimpse of the commotion that was going on inside the school. She bit her fingernails anxiously as she scoured the crowd with her eyes to try and catch a glimpse of Peter, with no luck.

What the fuck was that thing and what business did it have at this school, Maya thought. She remembered the look on Peter's face as he told her to go without him and as she stood alone she couldn't believe she had actually done it and left without him. She snapped her head up towards the school as a small explosion went off near one of the science rooms, Maya knew the one. Her heart sank at the fear that Peter was definitely in danger and possibly even in that room where the explosion had gone off.

Before Maya could even process what she was doing, her legs took her through the crowd and ran right back into the school, right back into danger.

She followed the noise of smashing and banging, jumping over debris as she did. She was functioning solely on adrenaline and fear for her best friend.

She stopped in her tracks right in front of the double doors that separated her from the Lizard. Maya squinted her eyes at the other figure in the hallway.

Spiderman.

She sighed in relief that the vigilante had shown up but tensed at the realization that this meant Peter was still missing.

Maya stood frozen in front of the doors, wielding a trophy she had grabbed from the cabinet to her left, the best attempt at a weapon she was going to find on school grounds.

She didn't know what to do, run or stay. She wanted to run but as the Lizard slammed Spiderman's head into the window, shattering the glass, Maya found her legs moving on her own again and before she even knew what she was doing, the trophy in her hand had collided with the Lizards head.

Was she stupid for attempting to fight some mutant lizard? Absolutely. However, the smack on the Lizard was hard enough for him to release his grip on the Spiderman, but now as the Lizard turned to her and stalked closer she was really beginning to question her decision.

"Maya?" The Lizard questioned.

Maya's blood ran cold at the sound of her name leaving his lips. How the fuck did this thing know who she was.

She backed away slowly as the Lizard approached her. His claws came swinging towards her and she flinched in response waiting for the impact, but it never came.

Spiderman webbed his hand before it could hit Maya, catching the Lizard off guard and using his moment of weakness to cover him in web and stop his movements.

Maya watched in amazement before Spiderman turned to her and attached a web to the trophy she was still holding, dragging her towards him. He grabbed the trophy out of her grip and used it to smash the window.

"My friends still in this school and I think he's in trouble" Maya spoke, her voice trembling, unsure whether it was because of the fear or adrenaline that was pumping through her still.

Spiderman gazed towards her, without speaking a word.

"His names Peter Parker, will you look for him?"

Maya gasped as Spiderman grabbed her and pushed her against him, his hands resting on her waist and her hands firmly grasped his shoulders to steady herself. This embrace felt oddly similar to the one she had shared with Peter at the prom.

Spiderman's words knocked her out of her thoughts.

"I'm going to throw you out the window now"

"What?!" Before Maya could protest he had picked her up and threw her out the window, webbing her mid fall. She screamed as her body whip lashed before she started swinging back and forth on the web.

Maya gave a confused, yet dirty look at the Spiderman who looked out the window at her before giving her a little wave and running off towards the Lizard who had escaped from his webs.

Maya could hear police sirens in the distance and she turned her head towards them as they pulled up behind her.

She gave them a joking salute as she continued to swing back and forth.